The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wing supports for Ulster Rep.
I've got an Ulster Rep with front wing supports that worked fine before the 17" wheels were changed for 19" wheels.Though they've been modified, there are still clearance issues when the front spring is compressed and the wheels are turned. Can anyone provide photos of their front lower wing supports? I realize that there was likely no standard conversion for genuine Ulsters, and maybe only the works TT cars had any set design.

Erich

To be specific, these are the supports at the rear(bottom) of the front wings.
Are those cycle type wings Erich?
Yes, Chris, I should have been more specific. Cycle wings.
You're right, Erich, because Austin never supplied an Ulster with cycle wings, wing supports were something that relied on the ingenuity of the individual owner and that continues to be the case today. They're all, mostly, different. 

This is how my rather minimalistic versions are:

Steve
A slightly different method.

Attached Files
.jpg   DSC00623.jpg (Size: 364.03 KB / Downloads: 540)
The use of brass stand-off pipe clamps is much admired! I bought some which I intended to use on my Benjaustin but found that they weren't necessary.
I'm building some more curvy front wings so will have to remake the bracketry. I want the lights slightly further forwards so that the opening bonnet doesn't chip the headlamp paint. Design flaw!
I still need to 'drop' the front axle some day.
slightly off thread, but for the upper mounts, remember that if you want to use the cowl-side connection as per Steve's photos, Rod Yates has repro cowl stiffeners/support bars in stock that go in behind the rad and connect up to the cowl positions... running in an arc over the top of the fan blade. Also used on 65 and Nippy. Neat...
(20-01-2018, 12:48 PM)JonE Wrote: slightly off thread, but for the upper mounts, remember that if you want to use the cowl-side connection as per Steve's photos, Rod Yates has repro cowl stiffeners/support bars in stock that go in behind the rad and connect up to the cowl positions... running in an arc over the top of the fan blade. Also used on 65 and Nippy.  Neat...

Absolutely correct Jon and if you're using wings with any weight to them then I'd suggest this, or something similar, is a must so as to avoid any eventual distortion to the sides of the rad shell. However, my set up is about as light as it can get and I don't have a supporting cross bar. Four and a half years later, many road miles, 39 hillclimb and sprint events and one barrel roll at Loton Park, the rad shell remains undistorted so, probably, not essential for a lightweight set up. 

Steve

.jpg   Special front light bracket.jpg (Size: 196.41 KB / Downloads: 441)