The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil jet cleaning
I am not implying that the oil I used is responsible for the blockage.

I believe the jet was blocked before I started messing with the engine, the crud in the crankcase sitting on top of the lip the gauze sits on was something I have not seen in an Austin 7 engine before, it was the same consistency as the crud that was on the allen key when it came out. The oil pressure was high from the first start and run, it was never ok.

In hindsight I should have rodded the jets out before I boxed the sump up, but I didn't. I should have done all sorts to it, but the idea was to drop this engine in as a temporary measure to take the pressure off sorting out the problems with the 'good' engine - or rather the one with fairly fresh pheonix crank in it. Hopefully I've got to that point now!. In anycase at least when this engine is removed from the car, I've got a running engine ready to drop in my tractor project.

At present I'm using Carlube 20/50 in this engine, and I note from the tin that it is a non detergent oil, which I hadn't realised when I bought it and was not my intention. I usually use Halfrauds or Wlikos Classic 20/50, sometimes the Comma branded product (all the same oil). Sometimes Morris also. I shall top this up with some modern oil to add some detergent. Its just had an oil change so I'm not doing another one yet!.

The 20-30 mile oil that came out (I always change the oil very soon after being in a crankcase) came out pretty clean. It didn't make the shed very black when I painted it with it.
I noticed that the oil pressure in the box saloon was off the gauge, the oil is spotlessly clean and even on tickover it was at 8 psi, so after half a century driving Austin Sevens and never having had a reason to rod out the jets, today I thought I ought to!

A good rod through with a paper clip, which came out as black as your hat, within a mile all was ticketty boo on the oil pressure front, now al, I need to do is get the dynamo charging again, nevertheless a glorious day for a drive in our beautiful countryside.

The car looks great Ivor, you however, look tremendous!
That's spooky, APP 729, my initials and birthday (ooooooooooohhhh!!!!)
does that make you 93 next july?  looking tremendous indeed !
Thanks fellas, personally I think old APP is a lot better looking than me considering his age!

Now to put the new interior in, you may remember the original was beyond redemption...
Hi Ivor, 

Perchance, does the screen still open easily on your car?
Yes Bob, it opens and closes very easily, but I had removed the whole thing to replace the seals both at the top above the screen as well as the screen seal itself.