The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil jet cleaning
I was reading in the seven user manual that the oil jets need cleaning with a piece of piano wire. How and where do i do this. I thought I was in the right place but it looked to be a bolt.
No need to use piano wire. I have a piece of 3/32 in locking wire in the car's toolkit for just this purpose.
How do I clean them?
I suppose the merit of piano wire is that it wont have damaging kinks in it. for those not making springs at home uncommon.
A strand of wire can be unravelled from cltohes line wire but must be very free of kinks.  Ditto moderately heavy power cables.
the setscrews give access to the jets directly below.. Quite small diameter so wire should be just sufficently thick to be reasonanbly rigid and with a blunt end. Poke the wire vertically; may take a few probings before it enters instead of going alonsgide.
Remove the two bolts. The oil jets are directly underneath.
Peter
Two brass hex head screws on the offside of the crankcase along from the oil gauge take off - unscrew each carefully after wiping the area clean and use a straightened paper clip (leave a loop to stop it dropping through) to clear the jets which are just under the screws.

Try to set the crankshaft throws vertical so any dirt falls clear.
I read this thread with interest. I have never cleaned the jets on my engine other than when stripped down for repair and then never found them dirty or clogged. I always us detergent oil in the engine and change the oil at least once a year. Is it really necessary to check these on a regular basis. I know what the result is should they become blocked.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I too have often wondered where this "dirt" is supposed to have come from. In 20 years motoring I have never had abnormal pressure from a blocked jet or bothered to unscrew the plugs and poke.
The hex. head screws are not always brass. I've seen plenty of steel ones.
Perhaps someone might like to explain the procedure for replacing them? One of mine is not in best condition but I am nervous of disturbing them.