The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil jet cleaning
It only needs doing if the oil pressure is too high.
To check the engine must be fully warmed up. The handbook says the pressure should be between 2 & 4psi at 30mph in top. 2psi higher if the engine has 3 bearing crank.
Jim
Silicone sealant can produce blobs that can block an oil jet.
The only reason I wanted to do these misolanous things that I normally wouldnt do but, I bought the car a year ago and I doubt that the other owners took the care, attention, and research that the car was supposed to have.
The observant owner is supposed to recognise a sudden increase in oil pressure...... I suppose if the car is sedately driven the bigends would survive from the general spray but anything hammered along is likely to knock and expire before noticed. Great care is necessary with the sump gasket as no filter after it. Any cork chips or silicon blobs a liablity.
Considerabel care necessary with the plug threads as awkward to fix in place, although some wedge arrangement might be contrived.
(09-01-2022, 01:47 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: The hex. head screws are not always brass. I've seen plenty of steel ones.

Good for you - my three have brass
Did this a couple of weeks ago, first folded the upper end of the wire over to prevent the wire falling thro as noted in an earlier post and merrily poked it thro then nearly died a death when the wire seemed to get stuck and refused to come out. It took a great deal of effort to remove the wire, which went in so easily, but was extremely difficult to remove. Still not sure why but a whole ramp of nightmare scenarios flashed thro my head at the thought of the wire breaking and dropping in the case.
Possiby the wire contacted the crank and became kinked. Another reason to have at tdc. maybe that is how so many jets are found to be very distorted! Brass screws reduce risk of damage to the thread in crankcase. All screw threads must be undistorted.
Again referencing the late Ray Walker. Whenever he rebuilt an engine, he would bend up an oil jet cleaning rod and would snip it off to an appropriate length within the crankcase. Picking up on Bob's comment, his concern was that if a rod was made over length and for some reason the crank turned with it in the jet, should it get kinked, you would be buggered...
Interesting Austin, How much higher oil pressure for a 3 bearing?
(10-01-2022, 03:36 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Again referencing the late Ray Walker. Whenever he rebuilt an engine, he would bend up an oil jet cleaning rod and would snip it off to an appropriate length within the crankcase. Picking up on Bob's comment, his concern was that if a rod was made over length and for some reason the crank turned with it in the jet, should it get kinked, you would be buggered...

As I said keep the crank throws vertical to avoid any dirt being dropped into the pockets !