The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transportation Ideas for vintage cars
This looked very well done for transporting this sports racer mwb transit

I generally drive mine on their wheels.

With respect to the Bug in a sprinter, all you need to do is install internal ramps up over the wheelarches.
idk how far you are going but if its not that far you can probably just tow it on an open trailer. my dad has a enclosed trailer but it is a 2 non austin sized car trailer. if i opened it with it in there i would be overkill.
I have a 14 foot enclosed aluminum trailer for my Ulster Rep. Being an alloy chassis, it only weighs 1/2 ton. I used to race sailboats and trailer a lot up and down the US West Coast. That said, trailers are not the easiest to deal with, though OK on US roads and highways. If I were in the UK where the roads are somewhat narrower, I think I would go with a van with ramps built over the wheel arches. I may go that route in the future. But with the acquisition of a 'Nash, I've got to rethink that. Here in the US, it is sometimes possible to find flatbed trucks for a reasonable price. Not enclosed, but that could be added.

Erich in Mukilteo
I use a MWB Sprinter 316 as an Austin 7 transporter - it can be used to draw the caravan when the car is loaded inside. I don't have ramps over the wheel arches, it carries a pre 1934 car OK but I haven't yet tried a Ruby type. The Merc is reliable, comfortable and reasonably economical.

I did have a 140hp Transit mk7 originally but it was disastrously unreliable, with the turbo/injection system being particularly suspect. I have also heard from Mondeo owners that these engines are problematic. On the plus side, the Transit was RWD (good for towing) and had a 6 speed transmission with low rear axle ratio (again, good for towing). Body work was also beginning to fail with the vehicle at less than 10 years old.
(07-01-2022, 09:11 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I generally drive mine on their wheels.

With respect to the Bug in a sprinter, all you need to do is install internal ramps up over the wheelarches.

I have a normal trailer for long distances and it doesn't worry me that it's not covered. I'm not that much of a polish merchant to be troubled about a bit of road muck. After all, if I drive it that distance it would get equally dirty. Also remember that the posher your trailer the higher the likelihood that some toerag will steal it. 

Charles
Thanks all for your comments, ideas and input its very much appreciated.

Im tending to favour a van at present, hides the content from prying eyes so i will keep an eye out for something in the trade ads but if anyone spots a nice transport van please do shout on here  Smile
https://transporterhire.co.uk

[Image: IMG-0376.jpg]

This is how I collected my (unroadworthy) MG TC .

Much nicer to use than a trailer.
At Hull Museum in the 1980s we converted a 1950 Ford Thames. It had been used as a mobile tower for the Tram wires, Bought from a sale of ex civil defence mobile offices. As it was hardly used in either role it only had 8.000 miles on it. An electric winch and removable tilt made it quite adaptable. The photo shows it in another guise as a parade display. As the vehicles are no longer allowed to be used its probably sitting dead in a shed. I would hate to feed it now 12 to the gallon was bad then at £6+ today it would be too much.
The advantage with the LWB Merc Sprinter is that because it's front wheel drive the rear axle is only single wheel, which means that the wheel arch intrusion into the load bay is considerably less than with a rear wheel drive set-up, which tends to have double wheels. Probably not so relevant for an A7, but could be an issue for anything wider. The build quality and inherent reliability of the MB Sprinter is legendary but other marques are probably not that far behind. Buying second hand of course is always risky. Most commercial vehicles won't have been looked after that well and will have covered big mileages before resale.

I have a friend who buys and sells second hand commercials says that the Sprinters are always his favourite as they generally are in good order irrespective of the mileage and can be turned round with little work.