The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transportation Ideas for vintage cars
Thought I would throw a question out regarding transportation options to see what people would recommend. I am looking at options to transport 2 vintage cars, a little Austin seven ulster and a type 23 Brescia so i can conveniently get them around the country to join events.

Was looking at trailers (both open and ideally covered) and also vans which could carry the load directly.

What would people recommend? Any particular makes or sellers.

Thanks in advance

Will
I would think something like a LWB Merc Sprinter would swallow an Ulster without any problems, possibly the Bug as well, with some adaptations. Security wise it's far safer than a trailer.
The right MB Sprinter fits an A7 ok. Friends us them but a T23 may stretch it, dependent upon the van and the T23 body
Having a van doing nothing on your drive for long periods of time can be inconvenient and vehicles that aren't used regularly have a habit of failing just when you need them.
c
Transportation? Is that to Botany Bay?
Jim
Why the need to take two cars? Twice the hassle and stress looking after them at events. That said, i would take two to the centenary if i had the means to do so. 

My option at the moment is a Camper van and Brian James Trailer - gives plenty storage and somewhere to sleep.

However i have often considered a LWB Sprinter type van, convert the front 3rd to a camper, the rear 2/3rds for the car and then you have a trailer if required for a second vehicle. 

Alot of Stock car racing guys use double decked trailers where they can carry two cars, a seven would be light enough to go on the top. But the weight of the trailer could be an issue depending what you are using to tow it.
Sorry just to clarify i don't need to transport both together, a nice to have, i just wanted to highlight it would need to be able to support either car
Will, I think your type 23 must be at least 11 feet long unless it is severely modified. Also the track is about 4 feet, I think. It would be too long for a MWB Sprinter. It would be easier if it fitted between the wheel arches if you were to use a LWB version although there are solutions to that problem.

Charles' observations are spot on. For the last few years I have used a MWB high roof sprinter to transport my Ulster and it also fits two out of three of my specials and my 1933 A7 Tourer. I could be tempted by a LWB version.
I have room to park the Sprinter without inconvenience. Rather like sharks, they are designed to keep moving. In practice that means driving it a least once a fortnight.
If you keep it taxed and insured it may well cost you £600pa+
I consider it preferable to a trailer for my circumstances.

Lock down aside, I found that I used it frequently for purposes other than car transport, often for the benefit of others!
Happy to discuss by phone if you wish - send me a pm if you want to get in touch.

Regards,

Stuart
I agree with AustinWood, we should be in pedants' corner again!
I have always driven to events but have looked at trailers suitable for a Seven as I may use one this year to get over to Prescott and back quickly with the special before subsequently driving my Opal to Moreton.
The trailer I will use is the Brian James CT136 (infilled) — on hire.
I take it yo are old enough to have 7.5 ton on your licence. If so and you have storage facility then have a look at Low rider panel vans which are a cross between a sprinter and a lorry. The other way to go would be a race shuttle type trailer assuming you have a suitable tow vehicle.
I bought a tatty Volvo V70 D5 Auto for £750 last year it will tow 1800 KG braked. It does not notice my A7 on a lightweight unbraked trailer.
Budget and storage space will be your leading factors. An older horsebox is another good choice as a lot of them are not classified as HGVs and have basic facities for sleeping cooking etc.