The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fastest Jogle
The 1972 run documents a particular piece of my history.

Driver G I Harris, passenger C Hayward car OY 8166.

I'll let dad post the details and photos.

Fast forward 9 months and I was born, (I'm 49 next week) and Miss Hayward was Mrs harris!
Peter & Jackie & the Chummy stayed over at my folks house for a few days when they toured South Africa quite a few years ago. Somewhere close to Durban & the boat to leave he broke a tooth on the pinion. I remember Dad trying to find him another early diff, in the days before mobile phones.

I remember the little imp he had on the radiator cap of the Chummy, apparently had adorned a pedal car of his as a child and had been on something he had driven ever since.

Aye
Greig
I have every copy of Practical Classics since it was first published: Does anyone know the month and year of this JOGLE account.

Thanks

Ian
In the results for the ‘72 Jogle which Tony Griffiths posted, he didn’t mention that he had the engine fail in his type 65 somewhere en route and had a tow home to the Peak district, changed the engine overnight (?) with quite a lash-up by all accounts and drove back to where he had broken down. He was following us for a while and when we stopped for a chat we couldn’t work out how he had got behind us until he explained. We did a total of 1953 miles in the chummy, stopping in Bristol, Manchester and Cumbernauld as we drove to the start in Land’s End and then back home to Sheffield from John O’ Groats. No breakdowns, only a malfunctioning screen wiper, a lost wallet in Bristol and the usual numb backside.
Coming downhill on a main road somewhere south of J o G the chummy struggled against a headwind for quite a few miles and would only proceed in a low gear.
(03-01-2022, 08:51 PM)Greig Smith Wrote: Peter & Jackie & the Chummy stayed over at my folks house for a few days when they toured South Africa quite a few years ago. Somewhere close to Durban & the boat to leave he broke a tooth on the pinion. I remember Dad trying to find him another early diff, in the days before mobile phones.

I remember the little imp he had on the radiator cap of the Chummy, apparently had adorned a pedal car of his as a child and had been on something he had driven ever since.

Aye
Greig

The imp is still on the chummy's radiator cap, the car still with Peter and Jackie after nearly seventy years ownership.
As I was responsible for setting the run up - with tremendous help from the Scottish Club and others - I'd only snatched about 3 hours sleep at Land's End before seeing various people off (the RAC were supposed to assist, but never turned up). Still, one was young and fit and so, when a big end went on the Type 65's engine on the M6 near Stafford, it was only a case of getting the car back home to fix it, giving up never entered my head. Amazingly, a chap stopped and offered to tow me back, an offer that was gratefully received. Once back, now rather late in the evening, I took the engine out of the Chummy and put it into the 65 overnight. As David said, this was something of a lash-up, but it did work and, when fitted with the 65's induction system, ran astonishingly well. Suitably refreshed, I set off again back to the point where I'd broken down and continued the journey. On the way back, the fabric universal joint - that had been running well out of line - broke up somewhere in Scotland. My wife, in another car, was instructed to keep driving south and stop at every garage to see if they had a spare. The first one she came to had one hanging on a nail....
The write up from the 1992 Jogle 

.jpeg   AB85A478-AF6C-4C05-93DB-28A0BA199EC1.jpeg (Size: 155.19 KB / Downloads: 488)
.jpeg   1B1CF41C-EF20-4978-AEFF-CC690C26A9A0.jpeg (Size: 160.8 KB / Downloads: 488)
.jpeg   EF5453C4-6681-4541-949D-0F6EA5564A44.jpeg (Size: 98.71 KB / Downloads: 488)
.jpeg   4A58D096-642C-4378-A830-6B2DB93068C3.jpeg (Size: 96.21 KB / Downloads: 488)
.jpeg   F96212F8-53CD-474F-9681-005F84F5E859.jpeg (Size: 163.91 KB / Downloads: 488)
.jpeg   1A02134D-B8F4-40D8-911D-C49082CDEF68.jpeg (Size: 122.61 KB / Downloads: 488)
Perhaps its time to set the record straight - the car we drove on the 1992 run is in fact an Ulster, Reg LJ 3711. Our original target was 24
hours but the support vehicle demanded a halt somewhere around Carlisle I think it was as they said we were wandering around a bit. Then at Exeter we had a long stop as I could not get the engine to go over TDC on the handle. We never found out why even after having removed the head, however the resultant clean up meant the car went really well down through Cornwall on roads I know by heart! Best memory is seeing various folks out in the road in the dark, on the Camborne by pass, waving us down - turned out to be my brothers and family there to encourage us on to the finish! I am pleased we did it but have no desire to redo the affair!

Tony Hodson
In reply to Rob Regan, hi Rob
We actually managed to do it on our first attempt with only breaking 2 crankshafts. we took the specially organised overnight train from Crewe to Inverness-the cars all fitted inside the goods carriages. Around 10am, driving along the picturesque road alongside Loch Ness to the start we were going well -a change up from 3rd to 4th as I recall proved terminal for the crankshaft.
We were recovered to Brora where some very helpful vintage/classic car enthusiasts provide us with a ramp and space in the local garage. 'Well thats it for you guys?' Was the question.
Well no actually we're going to rebuild it. With the spare crank and rods from behind the seat we set about the task. With a patch from a beer can araldited over the crankcase fracture and the replacement crank and rods -the repair going well. Except we had also bent the camshaft and didnt have a spare.
No matter, one was borrowed from a Scottish A7 enthusiast and delivered to us by the Police in their patrol car. After fish and chips and around midnight the engine and gearbox were sat back in the A frame and ready for the connections the next morning.
The issue now become getting to John O Goats before midday when the start window closed.
We made it and decided to have lunch before we left-there would be no fast run for us this time. That's where the Practical Classics Editor and his co-driver were also having lunch and were working out what to do as their dynamo wasn't charging.
Electrics wizzard Harry offered to help. A few hours later we were back at the Garage in Brora with Harry repairing their dynamo. The article and photos appeared in a later edition of Practical Classics.
The rest of the run was pretty uneventful except for the enormous amount of oil that we lost through leaks and the puncture on the M8 in the middle of the night with a completely flat battery.
We made it to Lands End on that crankshaft, but returning to South Wales whilst crossing Bodmin Moor the second crankshaft broke. We were recovered to Exeter Services where we were met by my late father Ray Pugsley and the late Idris Lewis both stalwarts of the SWA7C who trailered us back home.
I think we were both asleep in the back of my dads Cortina within 5 mins.
Now the 18hrs 54mins run-well thats another story! Big Grin
Regards
Roger Pugsley
One from my scrapbook,from the Burton Daily Mail 1992.Andy didn't live far from me back then.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)