The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fastest Jogle
I am amazed to see that my very first Austin 7, CRA 212 completed the 1972 JOGLE Run in a time of 54 hrs 37 minutes.   I bought the car from Ken Brockway in 1977 after he had taken it to the Isle of Man for the Jubilee Rally.   He broke the crank shortly before the IOM Rally so when I got it he had replaced the engine.   Strange that he never mentioned that it had done the JOGLE when I was looking at the car prior to buying it, I would have thought that would have been a good selling point!
The engine in the car when I bought it certainly would not have done the JOGLE but I did manage to drive it back up the A1 from Nottingham to my parents home north of Leeds, my father following behind in his Peugeot estate that was full of spares, many of which I am still finding a use for.
The same car is also featured on the PWA7C 2022 calendar, showing the Longbridge works visit in 1963.  At that time it looked to be in quite nice condition.
The time set by Steve White and Stephen Fathers in the GE cup is in my opinion one of the all time great achievements made by the Austin 7.
We'd love to see the pictures, Mike. Today, I doubt it would be possible to take a photograph of the M6 with so little daytime traffic
Here's the complete set:

Peter Gledhill at 10.48am (started at 01.30am)

J E & Mrs S J Robinson in their Pearl at 11.22am (started at 00.13am)

Mrs Bradley & Cooke in their Ruby at 11.46am (started at 00.06am)

D E Preece & Family in their early saloon at 11.58am (started at 00.06am)

and T F Dowell & E J Hellyar at 12.00 noon (started at 00.04am)

Late morning on a Saturday, just look at all that traffic!
To do that distance in a Cup model, two up at an average speed of 54mph is really something! I hope they were wearing proper ear protection because that little car must have been screaming non-stop to average such a speed.

To do it at all is impressive and well done to all of you that have done it. As they say in Frogland "Chapeau bas!"

If I was to do it I'd probably ask Duncan to be my co-crewperson. We could argue all the way there and back to take our minds off the distance!

Now if any of you were fancying a change, there's a similar run across France, from Le Conquet in Western Finistère all the way down to Menton at the Italian border. It's a distance of 1480km, or 925 miles. Just a bit longer than the Jogle but potentially with better weather... see Google maps for details.
If only the M1 was as quiet today as that M6. I had the misfortune to drive to London the day after boxing day. Immediately the traffic warning system lit up red with warnings of 6 miles of slow-moving traffic, 3 miles of stationary traffic followed by 5 miles of slow-moving traffic (that proved to be stationary) etc. Approaching Northampton the situation grew even worse so I gave up and switched to the A5, A413 and had a nearly traffic-free run through Buckingham, Aylesbury, Great Missenden, etc - and some lovely countryside. Coming back that evening up the M1 there was just average traffic until nearing Derbyshire, there was hardly any at all.
I've just checked the distance from John o'Groats to Knutsford - it's almost exactly 500 miles, which means Peter Gledhill had averaged 54mph including any stops at that point... admittedly one-up, but it was a bog-standard chummy.
Went from Poole (Ferry) to Grantham late Saturday early June last year,following the sat nav it took me M27 ,M3 M4 ,M25 and not until getting on the A1 going north did the heavy traffic ease up,and this was close to midnight.
Where I live it's rare to see a car after 9pm.

(03-01-2022, 07:40 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I've just checked the distance from John o'Groats to Knutsford - it's almost exactly 500 miles, which means Peter Gledhill had averaged 54mph including any stops at that point... admittedly one-up, but it was a bog-standard chummy.
My friends step father met Peter Gledhill ,both in Chummies,in a breakdown stop in Spain in the mid 50'.s
(03-01-2022, 07:50 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: My friends step father met Peter Gledhill ,both in Chummies,in a breakdown stop in Spain in the mid 50'.s

Peter and Jackie have a photograph in the lounge of their house of the two Chummys at that meeting. It wasn't pre-arranged, just pure coincidence. Both cars remain up, running and active.

Steve
I last bumped into Peter on a campsite in France in 1999. He was in a VW Camper, I think, and we were in the Pearl having come over the Stelvio Pass in it a few days earlier.
Hi all for the full story of Harry and Ray Pugsley record run on the  end to end run. Have a read of the Practical Classics write up in the Brookland Book. Austin Seven. page 96. S&P.