The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fastest Jogle
Keeping warm and keeping awake were the biggest challenges when I did it in my special. We planned petrol stops /driver swaps every hundred miles but towards the end decided to stretch these and miss out the last stop. The result was that the last stint was 140 miles without a break. It was dark and extremely foggy and we soon regretted our decision as the tiredness set in. We recorded 22 hours 10 minutes, finishing at about 6am on Easter Monday morning. We had kept the speed under 50 miles an hour for the whole trip.

By the time we reached home we had done 1500 miles over the weekend and had no issues at all with the car, it didn't need any oil top-ups and used just a cup full of water in the radiator.

It was one of the highlights of Austin 7 ownership but I feel no desire to repeat it!
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner:

I didn't have the confidence to participate myself, so I drove over to Knutsford in Cheshire on the morning of April 1st 1972 to photograph some of the participants on the M6. This R-type saloon passed by around mid-day - can anyone identify it?

Other cars I photographed were a 1927-28 chummy registration ?T 4749, Ruby AJB 785, Ruby DPP 397, and Peter Gledhill's chummy YW 6894 - they are not brilliant photos, but if anyone recognises their car I can forward the appropriate image to them.
Geoff Roe and me did the '82 run in Geoff's special in 22 hours 7 minutes. I remember the wind being so strong after leaving John O'Groats that cyclists were pushing their 'bikes down hill! and that we encountered sideways snow around Aviemore
Frankly the run was boring. Approaching the end we were so tired that we started to drop off - Geoff veering to the left, me to the right. We decided this reflected our political leanings!
Glad I did it though.
Did the 1972 run in my 1931 saloon OV3398 in 21hours 10mins (fastest at the time). Used GY5409 my Type 65 in 1982 with a time of 18 hours 40 mins, but was pipped to the post by Andy Storer and Bob Hearn in another Nippy who arrived second but achieved 18h 10m.
(03-01-2022, 12:32 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: Geoff Roe and me did the '82 run in Geoff's special in 22 hours 7 minutes. I remember the wind being so strong after leaving John O'Groats that cyclists were pushing their 'bikes down hill! and that we encountered sideways snow around Aviemore
Frankly the run was boring. Approaching the end we were so tired that we started to drop off - Geoff veering to the left, me to the right. We decided this reflected our political leanings!
Glad I did it though.

We need to know about these political leanings...were you trying to join them or run them over? Smile
Duncan,
Paid up members each I'm afraid!!!!
I used to say I was "afraid" for fear of offending my interrogator, now I'm older and more self assured I say I'm proud to be an atheist, lefty, remainer etc. and I don't give a stuff if I offend. (because I KNOW I'm right so there!)

However,I have to admit to being seriously impressed by the various feats of endurance detailed above.
Lands End to John O'Groats 1972. The results:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thank you, Tony, that has enabled me to identify all my photos.
Hi everyone and Happy New Year.
This has rekindled some fine memories for me, having completed JOGLE twice now in 1982 and 1997.
The first run was written about by my dad (Paddy) for the PWA7C magazine in his "epic" A Bomber's Moon And A Piece Of String. Whilst slightly apocryphal, it gave a good flavour of the event and our adventures in completing a (just) sub 24 hour run in his bog standard 1928 Chummy.
My second run was with a (non A7) friend in my Nippy. This was completed having managed to put an engine together the previous weekend after suffering a broken crank. We managed to get it going on the Tuesday night prior to setting off for John O Groats on the Thursday after work to try to run it in prior to the event proper. We arrived safely; got the last room in the hotel; enjoyed a very sociable evening with everyone in the bar that night and set off Saturday before arriving in the earlyish hours of Sunday morning. After watching some cars come in, we enjoyed the hospitality of a local hostelry serving good food and beer and which had a comfortable room before setting off back for Sheffield on Monday so my friend could be back at work early on Tuesday morning.
All in all a great weekend and the car behaved impeccably, cruising along at 50 - 55 MPH all the way down and back home again.
Best wishes,
Nick