The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fastest Jogle
I can understand when it is a 'jogle' - so downhill - but not 'le jog'.
Just done the directions on Google maps, it's apparently 14 minutes quicker if you go "uphill" and departed now. (says it would take 14hrs 14 minutes.)
Given light traffic and no hold-ups, Google gives the minimum driving time to the speed limits? So refuelling and comfort breaks have to be added?

Avoiding motorways this increases the time to just less than 20 hours - that would be hard driving?

Which ever way you go, this is an extraordinary feat of endurance.
when Harry and Roger made one of their end to end runs, I think they broke the record for braking crankshafts by the time they got home to south Wales I think it was three !, such was their determination , one broke as Roger glanced at the speedometer showing over 60 mph and uttered the words " the cars going really well Harry " I hope Roger or Harry will confirm the crank count regards to all Rob.
Steve White and his Brother in Law, Steve Fathers, did the fastest time recorded in 15 hours 27 mins in 1997 in a Gordon England Cup built specially for the job. They had it organised down to the last detail with, for instance, chase cars paying for their petrol after they left filling stations and maximum use of motorways. I seem to remember that the only real issue they had was a failure of the change over tap between the front and rear fuel tanks. Without the time that that lost, they were convinced that a sub 15 hours was possible. At the time, their achievement was well publicised but not long after someone worked out what their average speed must have been (and actually was) and publicity was quietly dropped for fear of adverse comment! Both still around the A7 world.

Steve
Such impressive times, and evidently young drivers. For the more mature Seven pilot the number of field gate inspection stops would add an hour or so to the running time.
I remember being overtaken by an incredibly fast Vintage Saloon in 1997 on the east coast road down from JOG
I was doing a steady 45 mph in the EB65 I recon the saloon was doing a good 60 mph. I though it had a supercharged Ulster engine in it.
I had already driven from Plymouth to Shropshire Via Lands End in one day, Shropshire to Fort William the next day, Fort William to John O Groats the day after. Then off back to Lands End with a night in Shropshire, then all the way to Lands End and back to Plymouth the next day.
The day after I drove back to Lands End from Plymouth to see the other cars arrive then almost back to Plymouth, I managed to seize the engine about 4 miles from home.
I have got all the 1997 times I did 34 hours including an overnight stop.

I spend about 17 hours behind the wheel on one leg of the journey stopping for pee breaks fuel and a sandwich which was eaten while driving.
My co driver got so cold he could not drive anymore.
I spoke to a gentleman on the '97 Jogle who was driving a trials Box saloon which had had twin fuel tanks fitted for the event. I believe he finished in about 16 hours, driving alone with no support after his co-driver failed to show up. He had previously driven the car to John O groats and drove it home afterwards. Definitely the hero of the event for me even if his time wasn't quite the fastest. I can't remember his name but I'm sure someone will.

For comparison the 750 Motor Club secretary did the route in his BMW 5 series touring, taking around 14 and a half hours!
I have just looked at this thread having been hors de combat for a few days. Ilmoro raises the question of maximum downhill speed in a Ruby. In 1982 when Fenella and I were just married I dared not tell her that my plan was to complete the run in less than 24 hours in DKL214, my scruffy 1936 3 bearing Ruby, so I pretended not to hurry until we reached Exeter, and she asked where we were going to put up the tent. At that stage, after making leisurely stops at all the hospitality points and a few other service areas, I looked at my watch and said we should carry on for a sub 24 hour run. Sue Walker had persuaded me not to take a Ruby over Bodmin Moor so we went down through Plymouth. We completed in 23 hours and 10 minutes. On the downhill stretches the speedo was over 75 mph a number of times, and this was on 4.50 tyres which raised the gearing a bit. The only mod was borrowing an SU carb from Hugh Barnes. We did another sub 24 hour run in 1992 in the 1928 Chummy we had bought by then. It was not so fast downhill, but it climbed hills quite well.
i must admit ive read reports of the joggle run for years. and its unbeleivable the times recorded.

even more unbeleivable people fit two fuel tanks, so they can go longer.

i say this, as i do the run from leicester to the scottish club rally every year. plus trips to auctions or to friends in mid scotland every year. probably a total of 6 times a year each way. each time is 7 hours each way in the saddle of a modern car.

i usually do 5 hours before im nodding from the use of modern motorways.

it doesnt get easier as you get older.

i would expect fatique is more of a problem than running out of fuel.

well done to those who have done those amazing times.

tony.