The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petition to stop E10 fuel
(18-12-2021, 11:48 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: The seller of my 2019 Honda mower gave me chapter and verse on E10 and how terrible it would be to leave any in over winter and offered me a high-priced cocktail to prevent "problems". I ignored him. After 4-months in the shed, the Honda started second pull.

That's a Honda mower for you, but to be honest it should have been first.
The theromstatic choke on my OHV Briggs and Stratton lasts about 3 months and then seizes. Always takes some nursing to life. That's B&S for you.

C
(19-12-2021, 12:39 AM)squeak Wrote: prescient

I knew you would say that…
Ethanol has only about half the calorific value of petrol so mpg will be worse.  The 10% ethanol is like being sold a gallon 5% short. I am surprised about claims of different mpg with different octane ratings on basic petrol with pre computer cas. Spark adjustment would probably have corrected.
(Cars used to be set up  not to ping at worst conditions. This determined the cr and hence  efficiency. Cars now have crs which with conventional timing would ping wildly at full throttle. Instead the timing is computer retarded at wide throttle to avoid. The max power is much the same but the part throttle efficency is greatly  improved by the very high cr.)
Meanwhile, whatever we have to feed to the carbs of our ferocious road devourers, what would be the appropriate paint or covering liquid to carefully slosh around inside a newly made or greatly re-skinned fuel tank?
(19-12-2021, 10:24 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Meanwhile, whatever we have to feed to the carbs of our ferocious road devourers, what would be the appropriate paint or covering liquid to carefully slosh around inside a newly made or greatly re-skinned fuel tank?

Hi Steve

If the tanks is new and has no leaks don’t use anything!

I’ve used slosh type products in the past (Por15 was one) and have had separation and rusting in the tank very quickly (6 months). Perhaps my preparation wasn’t very good?

Cheers

Howard
I slosh sealed the tank in our fabric saloon at least 10 years ago. No problems yet.
Jim
I used Rustbusters 'Slosh' sealant in my tank after it had been professionally cleaned about two and a half years ago. No problems yet.
As we are discussing ethanol in petrol, would I be right in assuming that there would be no effect at all on a stainless steel petrol tank?
(18-12-2021, 05:50 PM)sparkeysprite Wrote: I'm afraid that's just incorrect.  The lower ethanol E5 petrol currently for sale is a higher octane (over 97 in the UK) than the E10 (95 in the UK).  Lead based additives were banned in the UK more than 20 years ago - it had nothing to do with Ethanol..

Don't be afraid to be wrong. Your post is illogical anyway, the Octane rating of a motor fuel is governed by the amount of octane-boosting additive to the base petroleum.
In the past we used tetra-ethyl lead, long since outlawed and replaced mainly by MTBE, though health concerns because of the way it got into water systems led to its discontinuance.  Today's common oxygen boosters are BTEX and, increasingly, Ethanol.