The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sevens at Shelsley; The Centenary
got the details, but never a registration plate noted for that car unless you can yield further! As it became less of a road car, one can see it probably disappeared altogether. Where are your reports from out of interest, Steve ?
I understand that the engine from 166 still exists, it was in my Chummy for a while. The following is from John Sutton who owned my car for many years, he tells the story....

One day Bill Lansley rang me to say that he had been offered an early Austin 7 engine, which had been running a circular saw, and was I interested.  I replied in the affirmative and duly collected it a week or so later.  When I studied it more closely I was amazed to see that it was a very early one with the engine number 166 stamped on the crankcase. Some years later I was asked by an old man from Streatham, South London if I could help with an engine for his 1924 “Pram Hood” Austin Chummy which he had owned since new, I sold him the early engine and he went away quite happy.  The story did not end there as about 30 years later I went on holiday to Devon with a caravan behind my Daimler Majestic Major.  Whilst we were away on holiday I had let the house in Harpenden, Hertfordshire to a young couple of Austin 7 owners who were between properties.  When I arrived home they asked if I had seen the latest Austin 7 magazine where an early Austin Chummy was listed for sale, which I had not.  There was a phone number and so I called it and spoke to a teacher named John O’Neil who said that the car was still for sale but that he had someone visiting the following day and it would be best if I were to come down to Swindon the same day and see it or it might be sold.  So I unhitched the caravan and put my race car trailer on the tow bar of the Daimler in it’s place and set off for Swindon.
When I arrived at John O’Neil’s I found that the Austin was a very early car and very complete, it even had it’s original hood and sidescreens.  He told me that it had belonged to an old man from Streatham and that  he had been promised the car would be his if he coached his grandson through his “A” level exams.  He had achieved this result and the old man duly made the car over to him.  It took me no time at all to decide to buy this Austin and I loaded it onto my trailer and drove home.  When I finally arrived back in Harpenden I was completely exhausted having driven from Devon to Harpenden and then back to Swindon and then back again to Harpenden.  I simply left the whole equipe parked in the front drive and went straight to bed. 
In the morning I got up and started to have a good look at what I had purchased and was staggered to find that it was fitted with the very same engine which I had bought from Bill Lansley 30 years before. Is this what is known as “getting your own back”.

The engine was sold by David Lucas, to someone building a replica, but I can not remember the name...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It's most unlikely that engine 166 (circa January 1923) has any connection with the car that was registered OL 166 (circa August 1923, with an engine number probably in the region of 1500-1600).
You may well be right, I only know what David Lucas told me...
Unusual amount of diamond stamps on there. Very nice.
The letter from Birmingham Treasurers (Motor Taxation) Dept. .....

.jpeg   Scan 1.jpeg (Size: 147.96 KB / Downloads: 305)
how fabulous - one for the Austin 7 online archives too...
What a gem from the editorial archives!
Austin Harris

Austin, I seem to be having problems contacting you, primarily about the AH/ LAT archive. Would it be possible to get in touch by email; stevekaytwo@btinternet.com.

Stephen Kay
(10-03-2022, 08:27 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Austin, I seem to be having problems contacting you, primarily about the AH/ LAT archive. Would it be possible to get in touch by email; stevekaytwo@btinternet.com.

Stephen Kay

Apologies, I always seem to miss the Private Messages, just sent you an email.