The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sevens at Shelsley; The Centenary

The Austin Seven was launched in Claridge’s on 21st July 1922. Just eight days later, the Seven began its competition career, when OK 2950 was put up Shelsley Walsh. Entered by Sir Herbert Austin, the driver was Louis Kings. Two up, and with the early 670cc engine, he managed 89.9 seconds. The last Seven ascent of Shelsley in 1939 saw Bert Hadley in a supercharged car  take 40.56 secs. In July 2021, Oscar Dobbin put his Ulster up in 62.77, being in the Standard  and Mod class it is certainly not supercharged.

These times indicate that sport has been an essential part of the character and history of the Seven, and that the relationship with Shelsley is profound. The Centenary of the car will see a major gathering at Moreton in Marsh, but many of us feel that there must also be a celebration at Shelsley. MAC’s historic event this year, as ever, will clash with Beaulieu  being on Sunday 3rd July, but what a choice for the Seven owner!

With the support of MAC and VSCC various plans are in hand for Shelsley. There will be a  large designated car parking area for Sevens. It is very much hoped that historic competition cars not entered will be making serious demonstration runs. Further plans are being explored, and ideas and suggestions are most welcome. 

So don’t hesitate to contact Colin Bromley or myself on; sevensatshelsley@gmail.com
I am interested in this event.
I might well venture up to Shelsley having never been before.
I have a much better quality version of that image, (scanned directly from the original glass plate).

Get in touch and I can let you know how to go about getting permission to use it, (and many others from Shelesley).

[Image: a677.jpg]

[Image: a677crop.jpg]
Steven,
Well done for flagging this important centenary event. Nigh on 10 years ago, and being an MAC member, I realised, a few days before the event, that the MAC had an event on the actual 90th anniversary of the first climb of one of the prototypes driven by Lou Kings. A quick call to Robin Boyce and the MAC office secured slots for Robins ‘23 Chummy and our ‘29 Chummy to make celebratory demonstration runs up the hill during the lunch break, and with appropriate commentary. I think Robin wrote a short article for either the MA7C or the Association magazines.
Shelsley is a power hill, I drove Tony Hutchins OK 7095 replica at a VSCC Shelsley in the 70s, with its virtually standard engine, it was a leisurely drive up the hill.
We plan to be there with the Chummy and Super Sports in 2022.
Regards,
Paul Cooper.
Just a question. How did they manage to wear the front tyres out if the event was only a matter of days after the car was launched?
Austin, many thanks for your comment. Whether by synchronicity or co-incidence I was discussing the image with David Moore, the MAC’s hugely helpful archivist. Whatever it’s origins, the picture must be as well known as Raymond Mays losing a wheel at Caerphilly  Mountain, if not the Mona Lisa. Your picture archive is a magnificent resource. Not only the pictures, but the comments. Julian Hunt’s detailed contributions to the arcane delights of timing history, principally referring to Chatcombe  Pitch are very helpful. 

What took me to Chatcombe Pitch was failing to retire from historic hillclimb tour organisation, the next one will be in the Cotswolds. This allows one to compare what they look like today with pictures on your archive or elsewhere. Whilst the first tour is already booked up, we hope to repeat it for Sevenists possibly on the Friday of the big centenary week. One regret is that we do not expect to get permission to drive up Stanway Old Hill, where you illustrate a part of Sevens, never mind, there are quite a few more! 

Paul, very much look forward to seeing you at Shelsley. Is OK 7095 still out and about? 

As for the most desirable photograph, has anyone got a snap of Herbert Austin ascending Middle Hill on a Wolseley in 1905?
The prototypes, in various configurations, had been extensively tested around Longbridge and the surrounding counties prior to its Claridges and Shelsley appearances in July. I believe that one of the prototypes was present at the Austin Sports Day some weeks prior to its introduction to the wider public in July.

Incidentally, my wife Christine, discovered that her grandfather had built the three sets of wheels for the prototypes when he was employed at the nearby Royal Enfield factory as there was no one at Longbridge with wheel building skills at the time. He was subsequently “poached” by Austins in 1922 to set up a wheel building department when production of the Seven commenced.
Regards,
Paul Cooper.

Steven, re the Tony Hutchins OK 7095.
I was peripherally involved with the building of the car. Tony eventually sold to someone in, I think either France or Switzerland. I believe that it is now back in this country and has been spotted at Kop during the last year or two. It’s worth noting that other replicas of this car and the other Boulogne racers have been built over the years.

Can I put our name down for a place on next years tour please.
Regards,
Paul Cooper.
In addition to what Pauls says about the car being used extensively, the wheels are rotating and hence the tyes are slightly blurred - the same effect can be seen on the spokes.
Was there more than one OK 7095 replica? I have come upon a "specification and history" relating to a replica built 1972-1974, the engine is attributed to M Hodgson. The paper has the name of Struan J Erskine on it, and says that the car may be viewed at Viceroy Garage.

It sounds terrifying, stated to be in Brooklands Racing form, but with neither front not rear shock absorbers.
There is at least one more OK 7095 replica, my recollection, and I’ll stand corrected, is that it was built by Norman Purves around 15 years ago and displayed at the 1992 90th Anniversary event at Warwick. I think the body form on Normans car is more accurate that the on Tony Hutchings 1970s build, particularly around the tail as I recall Tony was struggling to find good detail photos, I think Norman turned up more information for his build. 
Mike Hodgson did find a lot of the early engine parts for Tony’s car and built the engine, I supplied the early 6in rear axle which was on my own fabric bodied VSCC racer when I first bought it.
When Tony Hutchings owned the car it was formally registered as OK 7095 with the DVLA, I’m not sure if the number was surrendered when the car was sold to the Continent or wether it still legally carries it.
As a reflection of more relaxed times, when Tony was building OK 7095 we lightly commented that perhaps I should build a replica of another of the team cars using the early bits I had at the time as a basis. I didn’t have a registration number so phoned Hampshire County Council (this was just pre DVLA Swansea being set up) and asked if I could have a number, and was OL 166 available? The nice lady said it was and a few days later a green log book arrived, happy days. I eventually sold my project and I believe that it has now been built up as a replica of another of the team racers.
Incidentally, going back to Shelsley, I’m sure OK 7095, or one of the other Boulogne racers, competed at a Shelsley hill climb sometime in late 1923? It’s all in the books somewhere.

Paul Cooper.