The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snow on the way
Mike, according to that unreliable source known as Wickipedia Northern Powergrid is wholly owned by an American company called Berkshire Hathaway.
As I was saying before, "Amercanisation"!
If it was owned by the Democratic Republic of S Yorks we may not have been "outaged".
All very tongue in cheek.
(10-05-2020, 02:13 AM)Tony Press Wrote: According to the website 'The Distributor Doctor' does Lucas Distributor rebuilds-

http://www.distributordoctor.com/
And when did "increase" become the idiotic "ramping up"?
About the same time as transport became transportation. Some folk seem to think that adding extra syllables imparts an air of intelligence. So, I predict that as we have gone from power cut to outage, we'll soon see outagements and thence outagementalization ;-)
Spell check seems to have eliminated disc (a flat round thing) in favor (deliberate) of disk (a computer device).
I wish I hadn't started this, it's endless! Sorry...
Ian over here ramping refers to the practice of queueing ambulances outside the Triage (where did that word come from?) doors of the emergency departments.
...and over here the Home Secretary has been disinvited from a pointless meeting in France with their president who is trying to harden his reputation prior to elections.
Silly arguments by two egotists is one of the causes of recent multiple deaths. One of them is using the same dubious social media system as DJ Trump.
(27-11-2021, 11:37 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Sorry boys quicker to type "outage" than "Power cut"
I disapprove of the Americanisation of British language. Apologies Erich. We are slowly being taken over by the numerous American programmes on our tellies.
Or should I have written "Americanization" and "programs"

Some time in the sixties it was on the news on the light programme..... the spelling for a computer program will be PROGRAM, and all other types of programme will continue to be PROGRAMME.
Dave Wortley, no apologies necessary. I fight against the Americanization of proper English every day. Partly, the culprit is the younger generation here in the US who only communicate by texts, and are often barely able to do that with any competence.

Erich in Mukilteo
Sounds a little like deja-vu to me. I expect we are all in agreeance that 'they' cease and desist introducing new and made up avant-garde words into the language until we all go on to better things.

Pardon my faux-pas if I am leading you up a cul-de-sac    Big Grin
I am horrified at how frequently competence has been changed to competency. Thank you for getting it correct.