The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snow on the way
The mumbled words,and incredibly annoying extraneous "music" is astonishing.
Why go to the expense of making a film which many people appear to be unable to hear.On top of that when subtitles are included, frequently the words provided are in white letters which blend to invisibility into the background.
Weird
May we stop 'comparing to' in favour of 'comparing with'. If you are lucky enough to have learned latin you may understand that this mistake uses the dative case where the ablative is correct.
Sorry, my pedantry has got loose and there may be many more details on which to comment.
(28-11-2021, 06:35 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:
(28-11-2021, 03:05 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Glad it's not just me!!

A1 Roundabout at Boston Spa/Wetherby exit has a VOSA/DVLA testing station in the middle of it. The place where they pull lorries etc. off the A1 and check them over, weigh them etc. As you come round the roundabout there's a large red and white sign warning you that lorries might be exiting the place. It says 'HGV's Emerging 100 yds'  Sad

Steve

Yes I saw that one as Boston Spa, Steve. Eventually I figured it was correct. HGV is an abbreviation and I believe it is correct to make the abbreviation into a plural by adding the apostrophe s.

Sorry, don't agree, Andrew. The fact that HGV is an abbreviation isn't relevant. The plural of HGV is HGVs just like the plural of pizza is pizzas not pizza's as the sign erected a couple of years ago outside Selby Morrisons. This sad pedant took that up with Morrisons and they made a new sign Big Grin

Steve
(28-11-2021, 08:57 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:
(28-11-2021, 06:35 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:
(28-11-2021, 03:05 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Glad it's not just me!!

A1 Roundabout at Boston Spa/Wetherby exit has a VOSA/DVLA testing station in the middle of it. The place where they pull lorries etc. off the A1 and check them over, weigh them etc. As you come round the roundabout there's a large red and white sign warning you that lorries might be exiting the place. It says 'HGV's Emerging 100 yds'  Sad

Steve

Yes I saw that one as Boston Spa, Steve. Eventually I figured it was correct. HGV is an abbreviation and I believe it is correct to make the abbreviation into a plural by adding the apostrophe s.

Sorry, don't agree, Andrew. The fact that HGV is an abbreviation isn't relevant. The plural of HGV is HGVs just like the plural of pizza is pizzas not pizza's as the sign erected a couple of years ago outside Selby Morrisons. This sad pedant took that up with Morrisons and they made a new sign Big Grin

Steve

Steve, I've googled and come to the conclusion that a plural of HGV is usually HGVs, as you say, but it is felt to be correct to put the apostrophe in if the whole sign was in capitals. So if it read HGV'S EMERGING the apostrophy is correct. 

In fact the sign near Boston Spa is  HGV's Emerging   100 yds      Why a capital E? I've also just noticed Steve that you refer to the A1 Roundabout. Maybe it should be the A1 roundabout.