The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing
(16-01-2018, 07:08 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: I have a smaller version of Arthur's trailer, made by Erdé. It is as he quite rightly states, tippable, but a word of caution... On mine, the tipping mechanism is just a hinge with a lock bolt at the forward end. I presume that Arthur was able to get the rear wheels of his Ruby up onto the trailer before the centre of gravity went forward of the pivot point and caused it to tip back to the horizontal, otherwise you could be in a pickle.

Unless of course you have some sort of arrangement to prevent the trailer bed from tipping until so desired. (perhaps it can be controlled by a trolley jack). Tell us how you did it, Arthur.

Well...it just goes up nicely...not yet encountered the problem you mentioned, but I know what you mean. With my 3 wheelers, I have to use a guide piece of additional timber for the third wheel or what you describe does have tendency to begin, but overall I find the trailer very good indeed.

I winched the Ruby up slowly. 

As for the A frame, I had a three wheeler break free and half demolish a wall, but that's a whole new story and it involved a possible pint too many!

Arthur
I can't find it now but I'm sure that I have read that single axle trailers would be illegal for transporting a car in the future in some countries. Am I correct?
(17-01-2018, 04:32 PM)Austin Carr Wrote: I can't find it now but I'm sure that I have read that single axle trailers would be illegal for transporting a car in the future in some countries. Am I correct?

It would be intriguing to read this if it is the case, but not heard it is in the UK? Most of the time mine moves three wheelers which technically aren't  cars of course, being motor cycle derived tricycles, hence MSVA regulations.

Arthur
I'd love one of these bascule type trailers but they always seem to balance in the wrong place. The C.of G. on my two Pembletons is approximately in line with the dashboard which means front loading would weigh heavy on the lowball and rear loading would lighten the rear end of the tow car.
The 7, being shorter, could probably be moved fore or aft to balance it evenly so I suppose the only answer is an extension for the rear wheels ...
(18-01-2018, 11:36 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I'd love one of these bascule type trailers but they always seem to balance in the wrong place. The C.of G. on my two Pembletons is approximately in line with the dashboard which means front loading would weigh heavy on the lowball and rear loading would lighten the rear end of the tow car.
The 7, being shorter, could probably be moved fore or aft to balance it evenly so I suppose the only answer is an extension for the  rear wheels ...

Hi Duncan

You most likely have heard of David Stephenson in France, he uses a Lider trailer the same as mine and as you know he too has a Pembleton and several Trikings etc. David brought mine over on his when he collected a JZR from me.

Arthur
I know David well but I haven't seen his trailer, if you know what I mean!
To get a Pembleton onto the one in the link you posted I would need to add about 250mm to the bed and this doesn't include any leeway for the CofG.
(19-01-2018, 10:12 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I know David well but I haven't seen his trailer, if you know what I mean!
To get a Pembleton onto the one in the link you posted I would need to add about 250mm to the bed and this doesn't include any leeway for the CofG.

That's odd since I get my Aero Cycle Cars on easily and they weigh approx 395-425kg, albeit, I winch up, not sure I've ever tried driving up. I'll measure the bed length on mine and check the model of it.

Winching up the Ruby was quite easy, only done it the once so far, and I seem to recall that one person had to hold the bed up as I winched, so supporting the fact that the c of g had already been reached, but, it worked, thinking further, I might have jammed a small length of timber under the front end of the bed, winched up, then kicked the length out of the way. It most certainly can be done that's for sure.

Arthur
The trailer is a Lider 22370 with 3m long bed.

Arthur
Their site returns no results for 22370. Are you sure this is the right reference?
The SWB Pembleton wheelbase is 2600 overall length with a BMW motor is 3500 and the shorter trailer will not accommodate it.
(20-01-2018, 04:28 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Their site returns no results for 22370. Are you sure this is the right reference?
The  SWB Pembleton wheelbase is 2600 overall length with a BMW motor is 3500 and the shorter trailer will not accommodate it.

Hi Duncan

Definitely, David's is identical, it is possible that it has been superceded, but I checked the reference on it this afternoon, and it can be seen on this French website  http://www.remorques-franc-lyon.com/remo...304-x.html