The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing
I need to make a 200 mile trip and am not keen on driving in the Austin and then 200miles back. I wondered if anyone could advise if towing it with an A frame is satisfactory. I have checked and the weight of the Austin means that braking is not required. If so, then how do you attach it to the Austin.
The short answer is yes. I made such a trip (of shame) behind the AA once when my battery wouldn't hold charge. I don't remember however whether I had to steer. I once tried to tow a chassis a short distance on a solid bar and it certainly didn't follow my lead!
I think we discussed this topic at length some years ago on the old forum and if I remember the outcome of those discussions correctly it could be said to be a bit of a grey area legally. I was always under the impression that A frame towing was only legally permissible if the car you were towing on the A frame had actually broken down and you were recovering it and returning directly to your home / local garage for repair. I'd certainly talk to your cars insurers about it and perhaps ask the AA or RAC for their view on the legal issues. The links below cover a number of aspects - lighting regulations regarding the car being towed and your driving licence entitlements depending on whether you passed your test pre or post Jan 1997 and the combined weight of the A7 and towing vehicle.

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/mot...nswer.html

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advic...an-a-frame

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/forum...th-a-frame
Personally I would use a trailer or put it in a van. I have seen too many instances when dolly carried cars or A frame towing has resulted in catastrophe. I am not as reckless as my pseudonym suggests (well not quite)
The weight of the Austin is not important, as brakes are fitted they need to work:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...nd-dollies
If brakes are fitted they must work but also in conjunction with the tow vehicle is my understanding of that but I stand to be corrected...
The use of A-frames was much discussed on the Pembleton forum and the conclusion was that as the car and frame weigh less than 400kg, it would be a harsh copper who pressed a charge. The finished weight of a steel bodied saloon or tourer is usually a bit more than this if I'm correctly informed.
My aluminium bodied Austin special weighed 370kg it is an easy tow on a light trailer. I have an A-frame for the Pembleton but must admit I don't like using it. I have followed another owner towing a Pembleton trike happily at 50 mph but I wouldn't.
A-frames are definitely not welcome in France or Germany, I'm not sure about the rest of Europe.
A local member A frames an early 30s saloon using brackets clamped to the front axle  (which he leaves in place). I have not seen in action.....
If a saloon suspect would have to be careful about speed and surfaces. Steering would have to be very free and presumably reasonable castor.
I suppose a plain bearing in front of gearbox mainshaft would survive. Might be better with clutch operated.

Years ago I worked with Harry Chatteriss who owned the Rubber Duck post war. He said they tried to A frame the car 400 miles to the Paekakariki hill climb but it would not follow so had to be steered, including across the Desert Road, then unsealed pumice....

I have A framed  larger cars with the same car over long distance. Right angle turns in the wet were interesting! The outfit took a considerable distance to straighten.

Large campervans here sometimes A  frame a smaller vehicle.
it was common but suspect as other replies now legally dubious. 
Decades ago unegistered stock cars were A framed 100 miles to events and the remnants A framed home!

Incidentally, towing with a rope requires great skill for both parties. A solid bar hugely simplifies. If not an AA member can be very useful. Before cellphones when the world was different I carried one and a simple bracket in my1950s car when exploring the backblocks.
(13-01-2018, 06:57 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: If brakes are fitted they must work but also in conjunction with the tow vehicle is my understanding of that but I stand to be corrected...
The use of A-frames was much discussed on the Pembleton forum and the conclusion was that as the car and frame weigh less than 400kg, it would be a harsh copper who pressed a charge. The finished weight of a steel bodied saloon or tourer is usually a bit more than this if I'm correctly informed.
My aluminium bodied Austin special weighed 370kg it is an easy tow on a light trailer. I have an A-frame for the Pembleton but must admit I don't like using it. I have followed another owner towing  a Pembleton trike happily at 50 mph but I wouldn't.
A-frames are definitely not welcome in France or Germany, I'm not sure about the rest of Europe.
We towed a Smart behind a large-ish  Rapido motorhome all over France, Spain, Portugal,Germany Czech etc over a 3 years of holidays (2010-2013 without falling foul of the law. the only comments we had were of approval of the quality of the A frame's engineering (made in Brum!) We towed at up to the legal limit everywhere we went, without problem.
That said there is a huge disparity of opinions, but our insurer was happy with it and no one made us disconnect, the only downside was having to undo to reverse (couldn't see what the Smart was doing!) The frame did couple the brakes with a cable to the foot brake pedal & that worked really well.
Maybe things have changed, but A frames are still available.
I used to work for one of the big two motoring organisations. Spent 20 years A-barring cars around the country, as much as 200 miles at a time. After a while you stop worrying and just get on with it. Legality was always dubious, no-one knew for certain. Speed was normally up to 50, maybe 60, and going uphill 70 was known. Very steady on the downhills though, much less stable. Never used the braking device/cable. Towed fairly large cars, but always felt towing a transit was too big. Towed the A bar with Transits, Vauxhall Brava and VW T4 van. It was a bit of a faff to fit the Abar, especially if only going a short distance.
According to the RAC it is now illegal in France to tow a motor vehicle except in the case of a breakdown or emergency, and then only if the distance travelled is to be short, and then ONLY with a rigid tow-bar.
In addition a properly homologated towing bar (between the vehicles) must be used, with the correct signage, not just a home made one. Speed is limited to 50kph (30mph)

However, I believe that a purpose built triangular towing frame, connected to the drawing vehicle's towball and the front of the drawn vehicle at two points (ie a "self-steer") renders it a "trailer" and not a broken down vehicle. Normal trailer restrictions will then apply.