The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Your Garage Face North or South?
I rebuilt my trials car in the greenhouse,good light in the day and plenty of space if a little dusty.
Stored a couple of other cars in there with it to.Metal framed it was good enough for lifting the engine in and out too.
Never grew anything in there after my dad passed away,only weeds and cars.
The entrance doors were roughly south if that counts.
An neigbour of mine many years ago was restoring an victorian detached house, He also had an E type convertible for restoration. He took out a bay window then brought the E type into the dining room and bricked up the bay window with the car insid
    Mine faces south and has 4 cars in it at present, 3 Sevens and a Beetle one of the most difficult cars to work on.
My workshop, with quite a high pitched roof, faces south, is well insulated and I can work with the wide roller door open 300 days a year(ish). In winter I put on a propane space heater for no more than 10 minutes in the morning and once I've started work I seem to be able to keep warm most of the time. I do quite a lot of walking about which helps, usually looking for the thing I put down 10 seconds ago...
When it rains I have to drop the door about half-way down to stop it blowing in but cold weather from the north seems to blow over it.

(BTW, I love beetles and learned much from working on them many years ago...)
(03-11-2021, 08:47 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Oh dear, I feel marginalised: my garage faces East  Big Grin

It’s ok Mike, so does mine.
Alan Fairless
So, a single garage can accommodate only one Seven, but a double garage four?
I had my 65 and a speedex both in a single garage with a flat roof.
The speedex body hung from the ceiling, chassis against the wall with the 65 underneath, I still have scars on my head !!
Speedex long gone last seen for sale in France.

That garage faced North,
At the time I did not realise that the garage power came from the upstairs flat so I rebuilt the 65 with someone else paying for the electricity.
It did not come to light till the upstairs flat was rented out and a key meter was installed, I was doing some welding and all the power went off. I poped into my flat to check the breakers only to find nothing wrong. The upstairs flat was in darkness and the tenant could not work out where his £15 of electricity went.
I put a new supply in pretty quickly after that. A bit dodgy disconnecting the feed from the upstairs flat while it was still live !! Lucky I have a Sparky Mate.
My garage faces East and the position of our house and that of our neighbours means the drive often acts as a wind tunnel delivering accelerated air straight into the garage. As Malcolm will confirm, it can be a cold and windy place to be Dodgy On a positive note, however, the air movement means it very rarely gets damp inside Smile

Steve
You cheated, Dave - the third one is hiding at the back of the other two!

I've had two beetles. The first one was a 62 1200 - it got written off when a lorry reversed into/over it (parked at the time so no-one hurt) and the second one was a brand new 1971 1302S with the 1600 engine - cost me £1008 otr. I expected it to go like stink, but it didn't except between fill-ups.
The garage architect was amazed. The Beetle is a 1974 automatic and with it's 1300 engine is surprisingly quick off the mark much to the surprise of other drivers.