The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Your Garage Face North or South?
I have had garages where the door faces south and others where the garage faces north.  The disadvantage of north facing garages seems to be that they are much colder?  Are there any advantages?
A house that faces south is more desirable than one that faces north, same goes for a garage.   You need to be able to open the doors and still work inside.  Snow and cold weather tends to come from the north or north east, rain from the south west, at least in my part of the world.   On that basis a garage that faces south east should be best.
Never mind the orientation, it's size that matters!
My garage houses three cars and three bikes, with plenty of shelves and a bench etc. The two car-size doors face east and west onto the front street and the back street. The windows face south.

In the garage it's often too hot in summer and always too cold in winter.
I think it makes little difference really as in the UK the weather is usually crap anyway. Being nearer the equator than the north pole helps...
My garage doors face east but the side windows are south facing. I have both air conditioning and heating available dependant on the ambient outside temperature.

The killer is damp, not cold. Make sure the ventilation is good.
(03-11-2021, 02:35 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: The killer is damp, not cold. Make sure the ventilation is good.

I try to have zero ventilation, and a decent size of dehumidifier to keep the place dry.
Where I lived before, I had two single brick garages with no windows and metal doors - one faced north and the other south. Originally I had just the north facing one. Looking back, I now realise that as soon as I had the south facing garage, I always worked in that one. The sun on the door in the morning (when there was sun) must have made a tremendous difference to the comfort level inside during the day. Keeping Sevens in both over many years, the ones in the south facing garage appeared to fair better. Now I have only a north facing garage but it is attached to the house and so benefits from a bit of warmth... but no sunlight over the winter months. If I can bring a project round to the conservatory, I do.
My garage faces south, there are double glazed patio doors facing north into the garden which are wide enough to get an Austin Seven through. I have an OSB on top of steel Z purlins with industrial steel box section steel roof on top, (Lovely views from the roof )
I have a condensation problem in the winter as the GRP skylights are single skin. I intend to put 18mm clear polycarbonate box under the skylight to hopefully cure the problem. I have a de humidifier running all year round and internal and exterior security cameras installed. Six double row LED striplights provide superb illumination.
Addition lighting above the lathe and an anglepoise magnifing lamp next to the vice on the workbench.
I rarely work with the main vehicle door open, which is a insulated roller shutter with vents and small windows in it, pedestrian door beside the roller shutter door.
Unfortunately my wife has managed to take up 1/4 of the garage with her estate car.
Oh dear, I feel marginalised: my garage faces East  Big Grin
Cool !!!!
Come on guys….

I thought shed envy was bad enough without all this garage boasting  Big Grin Sad Big Grin.

Cheers

Howard

PS I built my first special in a 12 by 6 wooden shed…. Is that a reverse boast?