The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Your Garage Face North or South?
The Beetle. The first time I saw the engine bay I thought, "Life's too short...". A few days later, on a dual carriageway, a Beetle a few cars ahead suffered a failure of its offside rear type. The resulting gyrations - it must have spun around three times fortunately without hitting anything - confirmed my bias. Mind you - they're not all bad (though even the builder and driver of this "Super" Beetle looks frightened). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzB1Vc1h-Tc
(05-11-2021, 07:45 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: The Beetle. The first time I saw the engine bay....

I have memories of the first half dozen times I lifted the engine cover on a Beetle. I'd never looked at a Beetle before, and here I was, expected to diagnose and fix it at the side of the road. Nothing too daunting though. That would be three years after I built my garage with doors to East and West.
Hi All

The beetle engine bay wasn’t as bad as the combi van.  My father-in-law had a split screen camper which he asked me to start (mid seventies). Fortunately apart from needing a trailing light to see into the depths of the engine bay ( the split screen had no hatch on top) I only needed to set the points and timing and the six volt battery got it spluttering into action.  The camper had, by that time, done several trips to Italy. His son rolled it a year or so later and it never recovered.

Happy times.

Cheers

Howard