The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin 7 & Racing Bicycles ????
Bob,
Taken from a C.B. 1936 catalogue.
Thanks chris

I have often wonderd when the 26 inch Englisghsports bike originated. Various books have not made it clear. I wonder if in 1933 it permeated to the popular makes or was a low production speciality.
Thread drift guys !!!!! As per my original post, I need some pics (period if poss) of Bikes and Austin 7,s tp create an Eroica GB scene. got about a year to get bikes, car and mounting system sorted,
I've searched the 'net for vintage bike support vehicles and there's not much there, mostly '50's and upwards.

When I took my '61 Alfa to Eroica I literally downloaded some scripts and had some decals made, then a few pictures of Alfa & Magneti Marelli decals & had a pair of shirts made. Size, colour, placement etc, etc was literally a figment of my imagination.

There's a few places to go & look and get some ideas

https://www.davidsparshott.com/product-p...t-vehicles
https://www.theproscloset.com/blogs/news...innovation
https://pelotonmagazine.com/features/the...d-america/
https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/713...o-vehicles

In your shoes I'd ask a place that does vinyl decals to make one for the front screen that says Team Austin Seven Cycling where the Austin Seven name is one of the scripts below

I'd do a similar something for the rear windows, then try find a logo for the groupset you have on your bike, Mavic, Mafac, Sturmey or whatever and have a pair made for the side windows as well - Authorised XYZ Dealer or whatever you feel appropriate. 

Stick the vinyl decals on the glass as they are easily removed -> win-win

Aye
Greig

Attached Files
.jpeg   Austin logo.jpeg (Size: 13.67 KB / Downloads: 150)
.jpg   Austin Seven logo.jpg (Size: 8.81 KB / Downloads: 147)
.png   Austin Seven logo.png (Size: 131.88 KB / Downloads: 147)
.jpeg   Austin wings.jpeg (Size: 22.61 KB / Downloads: 147)
.jpg   Peugeot shirt.jpg (Size: 11.2 KB / Downloads: 147)
I very much doubt support vehicles in the 1930 carried any advertising or logos. Even well in to the sixties there seems to little or no advertising on these vehicles.

As Greig says, there is little to find on the internet, but these two images, from 1934 and (probably early-1960s) show no prominent advertising:

.jpg   1960 TdF.jpg (Size: 149.81 KB / Downloads: 144)
The second image won't show for some reason, but it shows two Peugeot 404s displaying rally-style plates on the front bumper, but nothing else.
In my (possibly limited) understanding of early bicycle racing they weren't allowed any support. In the picture above you can see they have spare tyres wrapped around body in a figure of eight.

IIRC there was a story of an early Tour de France winner welding his bike frame himself in a village forge when it broke during the race.

I would think getting in touch with Tim Gunn may help, he organises various things for Goodwood etc etc on this sort of theme.
Cheers guys, think you may be correct ref support cars, but on this occasion it's just a bit of fun using both my interests old cars & bikes.
In all honesty I'd just have a few decals made using the Austin logo and weld up a simple bike rack to piggyback on top of the Ruby rack. Just make it up, no one will challenge you & I'll wager a Fiver your TdF Eroica Ruby will look fabulous.

Aye
Greig

Anything goes...

I like the Simplex & Mafac logos

Aye

Greig

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tim Abbot brought this rig 800+ miles one way to Eroica South Africa, looks like a '73 but it's a modern '89 with a retro kit, so has 5 speed box, heated seats, decent aircon etc, etc. Tim uses it as his daily driver.

Some close ups of the rack for ideas on how to secure the front & rear wheels

Apologies for the Non Austin content

Aye
Greig

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0821.JPG (Size: 287.86 KB / Downloads: 58)
.jpg   IMG_0822.JPG (Size: 258.88 KB / Downloads: 58)
.jpg   IMG_0827.JPG (Size: 173.66 KB / Downloads: 58)
.jpg   IMG_0831.JPG (Size: 232.35 KB / Downloads: 58)