The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin 7 & Racing Bicycles ????
I,m looking at trying to recreate a display at the Eroica Vintage Bicycle event at Goodwood next year. I'm looking for any photos that show Austins being used in the Team/Support car roll. during the late 20/30s. I now have 2 Eroica eligible bikes, and plan to mount them to my Ruby, with appropriate advertising/logos etc.
You will probably have to make a rear mounted rack to take the bikes, if your Ruby has the luggage rack then just piggy back on top of that. I'd make a fork mount that used the quick release from the respective front wheels or use a bolt with wing nuts & washers to secure the fork and a short length of angle iron in a V to rest the rear tyre on. Use a spare toe clip strap to fasten the rear tyre down. Front wheels go on the back seat either on wheel bags or a large towel.

I took two steel bikes to Eroica South Africa inside our '61 Alfa Ti sedan, was loads of fun & my friend Martin (Home - RacePace) made us a pair of Alfa shirts to go with the theme. For next year I need to build a roof rack for the car, that way we can take 3 people and 3 bikes. The Hansom & Zini are both SA assembled bikes, I've had the Hansom for 30+ years, was my student bike... now old enough to be Eroica eligible.

I had a local signage place make up a few vinyl decals which I put on the Ti for fun. In your shoes I'd do a pair of "Austin" decals for the rear side windows plus an "Austin 7 Cycling Team" for the front screen - comes off easily with a craft knife blade. You probably have period cycling kit, but if you want a bespoke Austin cycling shirt with a retro look, Martin can make you a one-off or two-off quite cheaply. I'm happy to help co-ordinate if you want kit. This checkered flag design is always classic & Austin instead of Peugeot would work rather nicely.

Aye
Greig

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   4th puncture of the day for Team Alfa.JPG (Size: 170.55 KB / Downloads: 610)
.jpg   Greig & Sean.JPG (Size: 377.05 KB / Downloads: 610)
.jpg   Peugeot shirt.jpg (Size: 11.2 KB / Downloads: 610)
.jpg   Rossi Motori.JPG (Size: 208.87 KB / Downloads: 609)
.jpg   Tradouw Pass.JPG (Size: 114.17 KB / Downloads: 608)
.jpg   Zini & Hansom.JPG (Size: 245.99 KB / Downloads: 607)
Hi Greig, you have captured the spirit of what I am planning. I have a 1955 Claud Butler Jubilee model, and a George Moore , built by one of London's top builders,Jim Collier.
Using the Ruby rack will be fine, just looking at period logos to capture the style of inter-war bike racing.The Moore rides on Ghisello Wood Sprint rims. the CB is almost as it left the bike shop 66 years ago,and will be left in 'Barn Find condition.
Flywheel1935
I still have my Claud Butler frame that was built for me at the CB workshop in Clapham, London UK just across the main road from my grandparents home in St. Lukes Avenue.  About 1955 when I passed my 11+ exams.  I was measured in the shop and frame built to size.  Later when outgrown, and CB had closed down, bits were transferred to a George W Stratton frame which I still have.
A problem was the CB tubes being made from slightly larger inner diameter tubing so the head ball bearing was "non standard"? size and I have not been able to find replacements........what do you use?

Dennis
    Hi Dennis, I acquired a complete bike, build date Feb 55, that I am slowly stripping bit by bit prior to using for Eroica GB next year. do you have a problem with the actual ball bearings or are they caged ???
At this point the forks are still attached, as per pic, but will be polished up at some time, original colour was a cherry laquer over the chrome base plating.Have you seen the 'classiclightweights' website.
flywheel1935
Bearing is just upper and lower cup with separate balls. New balls have been put in in the past but afraid the 2 races are no good so need new. Only thought I have had is to use very thin shim packing within tube.
Don't do any cycling now due to age/location and full commitment to classic and vintage cars.
The bare frame is somewhere out in one of my ancient barns, but regret no time to hunt it down at the moment.
Its replacement... the G. Stratton, like the CB, much used is still in one piece. Best look out the CB frame and sell before I finally depart this world and it would most likely get thrown away by disinterested children!!
Thanks for the website info.
Any pics of the C/B ?
Debating whether to restore my C/B or leave 'as found', but if I had another ??? could do a before and after ?

I still have my father's Claud Butler Supreme model tucked away, buying it new from a C.B agent in Nottingham in 1933. He fitted a Sturmey Archer 3 speed, dynamo and hub brake over time.
I've found lots of pics of bikes on other makes of 'team cars' but no Austin 7,s yet, but cant believe they were never used, or even an Austin Van belonging to a bike shop. just need to get a feel for what to create.
Hi chris

Do you happen to know date of the bike advert? Curious that BSA fittngs (whatever that included) were more expensive. Would be interested what gearing they considered ideal for touring. The 3 speed hubs are very limiting by modern standards. British off the shelf bikes were well made into the 50s but the 1970s/80s ones assembled here were very inferior to Jap based bikes. In 1940 my father bought a 2nd hand 28 wheel bike with downturned handlebars and high fixed gear so presumably considered sporty at the time. it took decades of use before we realised it was unusually high geared! I rode it through school and beyond later with hub gears. A few weeks ago after years of wonky hip I reckoned I could ot get onto a mans bike so scrapped it. A few weeks later discovered that by leaning very far forward I could still get on a mans bike. It was fun as 7 " cranks and ground clearance such that could not ground the pedal;  great fun when young and to which I was looking forward to re experiencing!