The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EARLY CHUMMY WINGS
You may be right, Hedd, about who you know. I was also after the 1936 Motor Show chassis they have in store at Wroughton. That was an absolute no no as no access to Wroughton appears to be allowed now. My initial contact was with the head of Collections, Dr Tilly Blythe, who seemed enthusiastic when I first approached her. The staff I was handed on to have been less that stellar in their handling of this. I still have it in mind to send a Grade A grumble to Dr Blythe saying that the car won't be displayed at the Centenary as a result of her staff's indifference. But then, where would that get me...

As far as getting to measure the wings, I think you would come up against the same 'Asbestos' regulations as I have and I think it unlikely that they would open up the case and let anyone in. But I'd be delighted to hear if that had been made possible..
Thanks for the suggestions regarding the Science Museum car. Unfortunately my customer is in southern Scotland and my commitments in the next five or six weeks wouldn't permit a day out for me.

What a shame that some of the museums are being less than co-operative. Dave and I have just been up to Gaydon to take detailed measurements of their SS Coupes. Their Vehicle Collection Manager, Tony Merrygold, couldn't have been more helpful, giving us unrestricted access to the cars.
Whereas Gaydon could not have been more helpful for me either, and have already promised the loan of 3 cars for display at the event, 2 of which will ascend Prescott in spirited fashion, as they were designed to do..
It was very much a no until the right people got involved. Then it was a ''no problem, when would you like it''. My advice is, if the MP to say Longbridge (or indeed Moreton in Marsh) is supportive, get there office involved. You might be presently surprised. We had such a contact in the house, a patron of the organising organisation no less. The key is that these artefacts have been preserved 'for the people'.

At the time there was a huge issue with concrete cancer in the hangers, and we had to wear hard hats indoors. Also of course sign in with the Gurkas carrying L85 rifles on the gate. Anecdotally there had been problems with the travelling community (Pikeys), but the Gurkas sorted that.

Incidentally there was a blue asbestos boiler door joint in the toolbox (which I had opened to look for a top hitch pin, so we could tow it out with the forklift). The rail side and therefore by implication steam side of the Science Museum do seem to be more enlightened with regards to asbestos. Silly things like CAF gaskets and linings can and should be risk assessed, rather than having a blanket assessment by a moron with no understanding of the danger/risks. The truth is in situ gaskets present ZERO risk on a vehicle display. The presence (or potential presence) needs identifying and recording etc, so that if and when it is distmantled it can be dealt with in the appropriate way.

Of course they are redeveloping Wroughton, building the National Collections Centre at present, I believe the plan is for this to be complete by 2024(?). This is supposed to transform access to the collection. Perhaps this is the stopping point?

(23-08-2021, 02:40 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions regarding the Science Museum car.  Unfortunately my customer is in southern Scotland and my commitments in the next five or six weeks wouldn't permit a day out for me.

What a shame that some of the museums are being less than co-operative.  Dave and I have just been up to Gaydon to take detailed measurements of their SS Coupes.  Their Vehicle Collection Manager, Tony Merrygold, couldn't have been more helpful, giving us unrestricted access to the cars.

You should also have visited Coventry Martin. More Swallows, SS's Jags etc. 20 mins from Gaydon.
Why not go straight to the top and contact Dr Mary Archer.

I copied this from their web site.

The Prime Minister has reappointed Dame Mary Archer as Chair of the Science Museum Group Board for a second term of 4 years from 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2022.

I used to be a patron of the National Railway Museum and she occasionally came to events at York or Shildon.  She always seemed very approachable.
darn. she is a Morris woman...
https://www.driving.co.uk/news/interview...ey-archer/
(23-08-2021, 01:38 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: When we had the Science Museum prototype for the 1972 rally, I recall spending a good two hours cleaning it. Did we take advantage of the occasion and take detailed photographs? Sadly, we did not. Are we borrowing the car for 2022?

When the prototype was displayed at Longbridge in 1972 it was fitted with production-style wings and running boards. Presumably the wings now fitted were fabricated at the time of the car's restoration in 1997 - they may or may not be accurate!

Thank you for all the suggestions but I have moved on. Regardless of who might or might not get involved, the costs were/are real and my budget doesnt allow for that. I wont bore you with all the details of our exchanges but when I got the following:

‘Soft’ materials £300
Asbestos survey and remediation (for the loan object) estimated £1000
Asbestos survey on associated move objects
Conservation supervision x 4 days
Contractor x 2 days
Object storage x 4 days

That's when I started to lose interest as I could see the way the wind was blowing. This was in October 2020. This was followed up by:

Since the car went on display in (the gallery) asbestos legislation has tightened and we comply with the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012. Our conservation team suspect internal asbestos - the concern lies over the gaskets, the brake pads, as well as other electrical items.  Before the object is interacted with we are obligated to arrange a survey to have certainty over the asbestos and we must respond appropriately to the outcome of the survey. There are 10 other objects blocking the car which are also suspected of containing asbestos and would require a survey to facilitate this loan.

And by January of this year:

Unfortunately, although we have endeavoured to push this forward internally, and indeed covered a major piece of work last year identifying the resources required to access the object, it is becoming increasingly difficult for us to work on this. Now with this third lockdown in place we will need to put discussions on this matter off until our operations normalise.

And despite further emails, I have had no response. As I say, with organising something like 30 other cars to put on display and negotiating them, plus a further 5 rooms of Archive material to arrange and identify/borrow, this car really isn't worth my effort. Oh, and this doesn't include the 3, 5 page survey and other documents I had to fill in before they would sanction the loan and the site visit they would have to do (at a further cost to us).
im baffled.

why is a prototype austin 7 in a SCIENCE museum.

shouldnt it be in a motor museum?

tony
And come to that Tony why do people in a SCIENCE museum apparently know so little?