The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EARLY CHUMMY WINGS
HELP!

We have a customer who needs a pair of very early, pre-running board front wings for an A7 Chummy.

The problem is that he needs them by November.

Does anyone know of anyone who could make a pair from scratch?  I understand that our customer has approached the "usual suspects", but the time scale is impossible.

Alternatively, does anyone have a pair of scoop-scuttle wings, any condition considered, that could be remodelled to suit?

Any offers or suggestions?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If I could see some more informative pics I’ll give it some thought…
If you take up the challenge, Duncan, I can supply several photographs to help you:

.jpg   1922 4.JPG (Size: 101.79 KB / Downloads: 445)
what metal were these early ones created in - all aluminium?
Duncan Thanks, and obviously we're in touch.

Mike - that's a really useful photo. Anything else that you have showing the details of the truncated bottom ends of these wings would be greatly appreciated. Our customer has a set of very early running board wings that can be used as templates for 90% of the job.
Can your customer make a visit to the prototype in the Science Museum?
Very difficult to get any sense of the wings or their proportions, I would think. The car is displayed, nose on, surrounded in other artifacts

This is a photo I was supplied by another owner. It is not quite how I recall it being displayed when I visited it a couple of years back. I recall it being in a much 'busier' display and was almost buried... The display is now in a glass 'box' where you in essence, look through a window, so you cant get a decent look at it
When we had the Science Museum prototype for the 1972 rally, I recall spending a good two hours cleaning it. Did we take advantage of the occasion and take detailed photographs? Sadly, we did not. Are we borrowing the car for 2022?
I'm afraid not. I have been talking with the Science Museum for over a year now, with regular suspension of contact as a result of Civid interuptions and furlough (I assume) The bottom line is they didn't seem particularly fussed about being helpful. The final straw (for me, anyway) was they suddenly sprung the potential for huge costs for the Association for Asbestos remediation for both the car (they quoted brake linings and gaskets amongst other bits) and all the other items displayed with it  they would have to move to get it out.

It just got to the point where I had better things to do with my time than send yet another email that would probably get no reply. A shame, I know...

We should be able to source another pretty early car for people to look at...
Having been there and done that (got a vehicle out of the store at Wroughton), its very much a case of who you know.

That said getting a steam engine out of a old hanger was probably a lot easier than getting an Austin 7 in a glass case out of a museum.

Martin, would you like me to ask an individual I know who works for the Science Museum to make some introductions?. I cant see why you couldn't go and measure them.