The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what year and model is this??
I remember the late Ray Walker being visited by the Cambridge paper for some reason or other. He was asked to pose for a photo next to a car with the bonnet open. He had a 5/16 -1/4 bsf spanner in his hand. Nah, said he photographer, no one will see that, go and get the biggest spanner you have so it shows up!!
I've seen some cars with the Benjamin horn mounted on the cylinder head.
He asked the 16-years apprentice mechanic to fetch him the points adjustment spanner. "Top right on the tool rack."
Could this be a new garage preparing to open? I see a workman preparing to mount the Shell sign on the garage door and a Dunlop Tyres sign just visible behind the ladder. Another hint is the oversized spanner and is that a protective mat on the mudguard crown? Dodgy
We call them crescent wrenches here. They come in all lengths. I have one on a key chain. The large ones like pictured are good for straightening bent edges on wheel rims. Gord

This is from our local museum digital archive. I am going to look at the original photo and see if there is any more info or if the sticker is more legible. Too hot to venture out now ( 44 C yesterday and getting hotter).   Gord
What nut for that adjustable?
The pinion bearing nut is one (but be care-full letting Mrs. use it incase she puts a twist in the pinion shaft)

And here are the others that should be in the A7 toolbox with it (the open ended fits the hub nut and used with the hub restrainer avoids damage)

It is for the rear hub bearing nut. But he may have just had the steering wheel off to see where the black grease comes from.
That style of spanner was so universal they and all copies were known as Crescents. (although jaws seem thick for a true Crescent) A lot of American equipment, as with cars, came here.
It is very sad that so many American firms noted for uniform quality as these have gone. Old Practical Mechanics are very nostalgic (General, Starett, Cushman, South Bend, Stillson, Slocombe  etc etc although some live on in name only.. But were expensive I paid 30s about 1963 for a 12 in Crescent when a tradesmans wage was about L750 p.a  Now near 50X that but chinese replicas just $30 or so (L15). Now Americans buy Chinese and do opiates and other drugs to while away the time.
Is that a Dodge 4 with drum headlamps and distinctive radiator in the background?
His clothing is now quite fashionable again.
And as for the photo of the pinion shaft can tell it is an amateur workshop; vice clamps are in use. Those wooden handlede tools not so common now.
(it is remarkable how often the pinion nuts are slack.I wonder if assemblers forget to finally tighten)
Adjustables like that are perfect for doing up the flywheel nut FT. You put the adjustable on the back crank web, and the proper spanner on the nut.
Hi Gord , Where are you located in BC ?-- I am in North  Vancouver and have a 1927 Chummy and a 1930 Ulster.
Hi Ken: I’m in Vernon. I traded a starter switch to you for a center brg set a few years ago.