The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosely Float on Flatness
Has anyone experience of replacing the "valve" on Mosely units or otherwise fixing it? Both sides of this Ruby's rear seat still pump up - but the valve has died.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'd be tempted to cut a valve out of an old inner tube or even from a "whoopee cushion" and glue it in with a rubber cement from a cycle repair outfit, or perhaps "Copydex" if it's still available.
You won't make it any worse...
(25-06-2021, 04:41 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I'd be tempted to cut a valve out of an old inner tube or even from a "whoopee cushion" and glue it in with a rubber cement from a cycle repair outfit, or perhaps "Copydex" if it's still available.
You won't make it any worse...

I'll give it a go. As you say, it won't make it any worse. And it might make it better.
We need to know, Tony, have you tried to inflate the air cushion by blowing down that perished rubber valve?
I did on my first Austin 7, a Mk 1 Ruby back in 1975, and it wasn't a pleasant experience!
Very old bicylce and car tubes had valves not moulded in but with thr rubber captured between a flange and a washer. If can acquire from someone and still purchase patching in sheets, could make up. I used to recover bike tubes where the bike had been wheeled flat so the valve pulled out.
(25-06-2021, 07:48 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: We need to know, Tony, have you tried to inflate the air cushion by blowing down that perished rubber valve?
I did on my first Austin 7, a Mk 1 Ruby back in 1975, and it wasn't a pleasant experience!
Yes, it did blow up - and the air that came back was, indeed, rather unpleasant....

(25-06-2021, 08:27 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Very old bicylce and car tubes had valves not moulded in but with thr rubber captured between a flange and a washer. If can acquire from someone and still purchase patching in sheets, could make up. I used to recover bike tubes where the bike had been wheeled flat so the valve pulled out.

Thanks for that info, Bob. I'll see what I can find.
Maybe you can bond-in something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402946881496?...SwQqRg0yhK

Tony,

If you're feeling brave you could make your own from inner tubes, there has been some discussion on the forum previously. My front ones were successful but I must admit by the time I got to the back seat I'd had enough and opted for a sheet of foam!
(25-06-2021, 09:26 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Maybe you can bond-in something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402946881496?...SwQqRg0yhK

I'll check how much decent rubber surrounds the damaged valve - they might just work.
Cut a small hole in a large repair patch, bond the valve in, and then apply the patch to the remains of the original tubing.