The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting Auster Flyscreens
Hi All,

I'm beginning to fit Auster type windscreens to my Ulster Rep. These are the type that require a wooden plinth beneath them. Most period and current photos of these screens, show them just in front of the rolled cockpit edge. Screwing these wooden plinths down to the scuttle will require a hole a subsequent attachment not only to the scuttle but the flange of the dash. This would mean that if I ever need to remove the dash, the plinths would need to be removed as well. Would there be any disadvantage to relieving the dash flange where a nut or screw head from the plinth would come through? This would mean that the dash could easily be removed with out removing the plinths and fly screens.

Erich in Mukilteo
(18-06-2021, 04:32 PM)Erich Wrote: This would mean that the dash could easily be removed with out removing the plinths and fly screens.

Erich in Mukilteo

In my experience "easily removing the dash" aren't words that come to mind, whether or not anything has been bolted through.

Charles
Charles, yes, I understand it is all relative. That said, getting a wrench or a screw driver behind the dash to remove the fastenings for the plinths, would add a degree of complication I want to avoid.

Erich in Mukilteo
if you also have the full windscreen, i wouldnt bother.

from my experience the flyscreens give little to no protection.

they definatly dont stop flies.

if you want your ulster in sports mode, for me its a matter of just folding the screen flat.

for me, with the screen flat. it changes the look of an ulster. not just the obvious. it shows how low the car actually is.

tony.
FWIW I agree with Tony.

I also wouldn't underestimate the task of matching a wooden plinth neatly to the curvature of your scuttle.

If hell bent on doing it, I can't see why you shouldn't slot the dash upper flange so that it can be pulled past any (loosened) fixings, though I suspect you'd end up removing them anyway. You could weld captive nuts inside said flange then the job of doing up / undoing would be easy. 

Wouldn't it be easier still to move them a fraction forward though?
Agree with both of the comments.
A full screen made my car much nicer on the road.
And there are other benefits 

Charles
nice one charles,

is that a ham salad cob?

tony
Hi All,

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. I don't have a full screen and importing one from the UK may be cost prohibitive for the Rep. My genuine car in the UK does have a full windscreen. I do agree that just folding the full windscreen is preferable to having both that and fly screens. For me its a case of either one or the other. Full width being more expensive to buy and ship versus fly screens which I already have.

Erich in Mukilteo
erich.

mount the flyscreens were the windscreen should go.

then if you change your mind, the holes are easily covered.

tony
(18-06-2021, 10:34 PM)Erich Wrote: Hi All,

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. I don't have a full screen and importing one from the UK may be cost prohibitive for the Rep. My genuine car in the UK does have a full windscreen. I do agree that just folding the full windscreen is preferable to having both that and fly screens. For me its a case of either one or the other. Full width being more expensive to buy and ship versus fly screens which I already have.

Erich in Mukilteo

It's not too difficult to make one from some round and channel brass sections. Good silver soldering practice too. 

C