The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
lookers of Manchester austin showroom
apparently there were a pile of original picture, over perhaps 10 years. but very few showed the clock. well they were selling cars not clocks.

so a couple were kept to show were the clock came from.

so the two pictures are likely to be different years.

id say the christmas pic was 1958, as there would have been alot of hype over the moon mission. i think the landing was either june or july 1959.

all the same,  thats a fantastic piece of advertising in advance of one of the most important things in history. (that is if they actually landed on the moon). depending on witch theory you beleive. Huh

tony.
Theory ? Very expensive hoax- how many missions were there - and Apollo 13 they did twice  Big Grin Big Grin
The moon landing was in July 1969; this is more likely a reaction to the launch of the Russian Sputnik in September 1957, so probably Christmas 1957, but maybe 1958.
right month, i was only 10 years out Angel

perhaps i should have checked with google first.

tony
On a similar note, last year i purchased this stone which came from Cornileus Parish Austin Dealership in Hull. It was saved and taken home by one of the contractors when the building was demolished. Iam unsure if the date stone is from the same period as the austin logo or if it has been moved from another garage to this new one in 1952. 

When did Austin stop using the winged wheel logo found on our sevens and start using the Flying A, as most advertising from the 50s etc is of the Flying A

My plan for this is to build it into the gable end of my garage wall at sompoint in the future.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   Parish Austin.jpg (Size: 51.51 KB / Downloads: 190)
What a fabulous artefact!

The wings were still fitted to the radiator cowl on early post-war models like the 1947 Sixteen, but I have never seen them used in post-war advertising, so I am fairly confident in saying that your carving is pre-war.

You could always consider passing it on to the Archive!
The winged wheel was certainly used on the radiator grille on the county series Austins..what a great piece of history!
(14-06-2021, 12:40 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: What a fabulous artefact!

The wings were still fitted to the radiator cowl on early post-war models like the 1947 Sixteen, but I have never seen them used in post-war advertising, so I am fairly confident in saying that your carving is pre-war.

You could always consider passing it on to the Archive!

As long as someone else carries it up the stairs!!

Big Grin

It would be a lovely thing to have. Not many others about, I bet...
(14-06-2021, 01:01 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: The winged wheel was certainly used on the radiator grille on the county series Austins..what a great piece of history!

You're right, the Devon/Dorset had a very stylised version of the wings, as well as the Aston Villa coloured logo and the Winged A!

.jpg   1948 Austin A40 Dorset copy.jpg (Size: 384.63 KB / Downloads: 120)
that is beautiful, "as a norfolk lad would say" john.

and if you ever wanted to let it go, LET ME KNOW Wink

although i know its pointless asking, as i know you love your advertising and old garage stuff same as i do.

i love to see these sort of things used in garages, with all the other old stuff. so if you need a hand fitting it. ill take the long drive up.

as both items are made from the same stone i would suggest they were both made in 1952.

austin used to do alot of things like long service plaques for garages. ive seen 25 and 30 year ones. that would take most garages to post war, and they always used the winged wheel image on them.

so it was still a large pride part of austins history being used after the war.

on the picture, it looks like there were smaller wings at the end of the picture.

tony.