The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun with a Facebook troll
"A Ruby is NOT an Austin 7" - proclaimed a silly troll on Facebook yesterday. So, we wound him up a bit - quite a bit, actually - and then issued him with a challenge: Find an advertisement for the Ruby by the Austin Motor Company that lacks the words "Austin Seven". I played my card, a few sample images below - but we are still waiting for his reply. Can anybody help him out?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I see you popped in a few Big Sevens for luck!
I have heard Rubys called Grey Porridge in the past.
I was tempted to put up this spoof one just to confuse him even more. Even the rare V8 with its distinctive 4-louvred bonnet was called a "Seven".

Attached Files
.jpg   Ruby & Pearl V8.jpg (Size: 357.7 KB / Downloads: 460)
Surely that was a straight eight?
Dash - right again Mike! The Straight Eight - a copy of the only-known brochure attached - kept breaking its two bearing crank so they decided to go the whole hog with a four-bearing V8, 4 doors and twin windscreen wipers; all the luxury touches one would expect.

Attached Files
.jpg   Straight eight.jpg (Size: 360.15 KB / Downloads: 384)
A question on Facebook seems to magnetically attract answers from people who know how to type, but seemingly little else.
Did you not just think to ask them what it says on the radiator script on a chrome radiator Seven ... and on a cowled variant?
(07-06-2021, 07:19 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Surely that was a straight eight?

A Straight Seven would make much more sense  Big Grin
(07-06-2021, 11:43 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Did you not just think to ask them what it says on the radiator script on a chrome radiator Seven ... and on a cowled variant?

Yes, that was the first thing we confronted him with and also posted pictures of Ruby radiators - as did rather a lot of other people. But, even when faced with a plethora of advertisements from the 1920s into the late 1930s, all using the same "Austin Seven" logo, nothing would shake his conviction that he was right and everybody else was wrong. Unfortunately, he evaporated from view just as I was on the point of mocking up the below and teasing him further by saying, "Gosh, you are right. Look at this, an advertisement where Austin deny the Ruby is a Seven. So, many thanks indeed for your wonderful and intelligent observations." -

Attached Files
.jpg   NotA7.jpg (Size: 722.86 KB / Downloads: 263)