The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Fun with a Facebook troll - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Fun with a Facebook troll (/showthread.php?tid=6219)

Pages: 1 2 3

Fun with a Facebook troll - Tony Griffiths - 07-06-2021

"A Ruby is NOT an Austin 7" - proclaimed a silly troll on Facebook yesterday. So, we wound him up a bit - quite a bit, actually - and then issued him with a challenge: Find an advertisement for the Ruby by the Austin Motor Company that lacks the words "Austin Seven". I played my card, a few sample images below - but we are still waiting for his reply. Can anybody help him out?

RE: Fun with a Facebook troll - Ivor Hawkins - 07-06-2021

I see you popped in a few Big Sevens for luck!

RE: Fun with a Facebook troll - dickie65 - 07-06-2021

I have heard Rubys called Grey Porridge in the past.

RE: Fun with a Facebook troll - Tony Griffiths - 07-06-2021

I was tempted to put up this spoof one just to confuse him even more. Even the rare V8 with its distinctive 4-louvred bonnet was called a "Seven".

RE: Fun with a Facebook troll - Mike Costigan - 07-06-2021

Surely that was a straight eight?

RE: Fun with a Facebook troll - Tony Griffiths - 07-06-2021

Dash - right again Mike! The Straight Eight - a copy of the only-known brochure attached - kept breaking its two bearing crank so they decided to go the whole hog with a four-bearing V8, 4 doors and twin windscreen wipers; all the luxury touches one would expect.

RE: Fun with a Facebook troll - Charles P - 07-06-2021

A question on Facebook seems to magnetically attract answers from people who know how to type, but seemingly little else.

RE: Fun with a Facebook troll - Nick Lettington - 07-06-2021

Did you not just think to ask them what it says on the radiator script on a chrome radiator Seven ... and on a cowled variant?

RE: Fun with a Facebook troll - JohnD - 08-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 07:19 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Surely that was a straight eight?

A Straight Seven would make much more sense  Big Grin

RE: Fun with a Facebook troll - Tony Griffiths - 08-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 11:43 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Did you not just think to ask them what it says on the radiator script on a chrome radiator Seven ... and on a cowled variant?

Yes, that was the first thing we confronted him with and also posted pictures of Ruby radiators - as did rather a lot of other people. But, even when faced with a plethora of advertisements from the 1920s into the late 1930s, all using the same "Austin Seven" logo, nothing would shake his conviction that he was right and everybody else was wrong. Unfortunately, he evaporated from view just as I was on the point of mocking up the below and teasing him further by saying, "Gosh, you are right. Look at this, an advertisement where Austin deny the Ruby is a Seven. So, many thanks indeed for your wonderful and intelligent observations." -