The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch Release Bearing Lubrication
I am presently building bits to go back on an RP saloon, and have the gearbox and clutch release parts on the bench. I have always believed that the oiler tube lubricated the release bearing. However, as far as I could see, the oiler tube connects to a drilling in the bearing carrier that simply delivers oil to the front gearbox cover to lubricate the bearing carrier on the front cover. I could not see any side drilling hole to take oil to the actual bearing. It is very difficult to see down the oil hole to be certain.

I would agree with John's assessment, the 4-speed was a sealed bearing and the oiling is purely for the movement along the shaft. Seems to be an odd arrangement for a car built in the 1930's, guess it was difficult to provide a means to adequately lubricate & this was their solution. I think the "holes" in the bearing are dimples to secure the two halves together.

The arrangement of the 3-speed is different, where the oiler provides for what is a small reservoir in the release bearing hosing and as the bearings spin around the rotation of the oil supply leaks through the drilling onto the shaft to provide lubrication for the movement.
(07-06-2021, 07:20 PM)GK5268 Wrote: I am presently building bits to go back on an RP saloon, and have the gearbox and clutch release parts on the bench. I have always believed that the oiler tube lubricated the release bearing. However, as far as I could see, the oiler tube connects to a drilling in the bearing carrier that simply delivers oil to the front gearbox cover to lubricate the bearing carrier on the front cover. I could not see any side drilling hole to take oil to the actual bearing. It is very difficult to see down the oil hole to be certain.

I would agree with John's assessment, the 4-speed was a sealed bearing and the oiling is purely for the movement along the shaft. Seems to be an odd arrangement for a car built in the 1930's, guess it was difficult to provide a means to adequately lubricate & this was their solution. I think the "holes" in the bearing are dimples to secure the two halves together.

The arrangement of the 3-speed is different, where the oiler provides for what is a small reservoir in the release bearing hosing and as the bearings spin around the rotation of the oil supply leaks through the drilling onto the shaft to provide lubrication for the movement.
I am not sure that this is correct. Although I hvae not had to have my clutch release bearing off in my RP, I have noticed that, when my clutch release bearing starts getting a bit noisy a few drops of oil down the oiling tube shuts it up, so oil must be getting into the bearing itself.I also note that the handbook refers to the lubricator as the clutch operating ring lubricator, Surely, clutch operating ring = release bearing.
When I greased the bearing I did it on the gearbox to encourage the grease into the bearing and grease emerged from the bearing so there is a oil hole to the bearing.

Just to put this to bed...the photo shows the horizontal drilling in the bearing carrier, which directs oil into the rear of the release bearing. The horizontal drilling connects through to the vertical one which lubricates the carrier to the bell housing. It is the horizontal one that tends to clog, but can be cleaned if the bearing is pressed from the carrier. You can't see it unless the bearing is removed, hence the misunderstanding. The bearing isn't sealed so over enthusiastic oiling will result in oil throw...