The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch Release Bearing Lubrication
Another silly question from me.

On one of the club websites it advises to dismantle the clutch release bearing on the four speed box, clean it, pack it with grease and then reassemble it. Helpfully, it fails to mention how to get the bearing apart. I have had a look, but I cannot see how to even remove it from the carrier.

Can anyone shed any light or is it a sealed unit?

Regards,

Jamie.
Your release bearing should have an oiler that can be accessed from the hole in the top of the bell housing when the clutch pedal is partially depressed. All it needs is to dribble some oil from an oil can into the oiler once every now and again.
My bearing is crimped together; no chance of taking it apart. I seem to remember washing it out with paraffin years ago and re-oiling to try to eek a bit more life out of it (just prior to the Jogle!) but more recently I bought a new one from the Seven Workshop.
I made the mistake of greasing and installing a new bearing assembly in the early style clutch release assembly. Started motor and grease thrown out all over. NOT recommended greasing.
I just left it in some clean turps with the oiler tube removed and every time I went past it gave it a shake, when the turps was dirty I changed it and when no more dirt appeared left it to dry. I fitted a grease nipple in the oiler hole and pumped a bit of grease into to it being careful not to fill it, that was decades ago. I replaced the grease nipple with with the oiler tube.
Thank you for all of the replies. I am relieved to hear that the thing is not really meant to be dismantled and it is not just me being obtuse.

I shall carry on washing it out in paraffin, as I am doing at present, and shall oil it as normal.

Regards,

Jamie.
The 4 speed release bearing can be pressed out of its carrier without much difficulty. You can then give it a soak in paraffin and then oil it again prior to reassembly. Best to oil it on the bench and allow it to drain rather than spraying it all over the bell housing. Dismantled, you can check that the oil holes in the carrier are actually clear and capable of taking oil to the inside of the bearing.(they are often blocked)

My oil can is fitted with a length of clear plastic tube, which enables me without too much squirming to get some oil into the oiler from the access hole. I work on the principle that if the bearing is quiet in use, then it doesn't need oil, rather than giving it some when it might not need it.
(06-06-2021, 12:26 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: The 4 speed release bearing can be pressed out of its carrier without much difficulty. You can then give it a soak in paraffin and then oil it again prior to reassembly. Best to oil it on the bench and allow it to drain rather than spraying it all over the bell housing. Dismantled, you can check that the oil holes in the carrier are actually clear and capable of taking oil to the inside of the bearing.(they are often blocked)

My oil can is fitted with a length of clear plastic tube, which enables me without too much squirming to get some oil into the oiler from the access hole. I work on the principle that if the bearing is quiet in use, then it doesn't need oil, rather than giving it some when it might not need it.

The small hole in the bearing housing, at the bottom of the oiler tube is prone to getting blocked and hence preventing the lubrication reaching the ball-race. When I'm lubricating the bearing say, every 500 miles or so I fill the oiler tube with back axle oil (D140) and "rod" through the oil feeling for the little hole with a short length of 1mm diameter stiff wire. any thicker will not enter the little blocked hole. Once you have cleared the hole you will see the level of oil in the oiler slowly reduce. Job done.
I am presently building bits to go back on an RP saloon, and have the gearbox and clutch release parts on the bench. I have always believed that the oiler
tube lubricated the release bearing. However, as far as I could see, the oiler tube connects to a drilling in the bearing carrier that simply delivers oil to the front gearbox cover to lubricate the bearing carrier on the front cover. I could not see any side drilling hole to take oil to the actual bearing. It is very difficult to see down the oil hole to be certain.
 Also, as a boy working in the garage, I was always told that when cleaning parts the would be in metal-metal stress contact, with paraffin, it was essential to rinse the paraffin off with water or the paraffin residue would prevent the oil lubricant from working.
It does look like that, John, but be assured there is a connection to the inside of the bearing, providing it's not blocked...