The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - June 2021
Re the sports model, he seems to have discoverd the path to understeer. Has he removed the seat cushion? Seems a very busy and sharp background for a professional photo
Just to throw a potential spanner into the works but Temple Press had, in the '20s, an office in Coventry;  6, Warwick Row, next to the Reform Club, in Hertford Street .
I don't know if this helps, or hinders the research, but here are all the pictures together that provide a quick cross-reference to all the small differences in the buildings (and the state of cleanliness of the Ulster...).
Click the image for a higher resolution one or, for a slightly better one that you can blow up, use this link: http://www.lathes.uk/Archi-test.jpg Using Windows Ten, just clicking on the downloaded image produces huge enlargement. In addition, as I'm sure everybody knows, holding down Ctrl and rolling the mouse wheel will show details of the cobweb in the corner of window No.16.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think I might have found the location of the Temple Press photos.

3 criteria,

Close to the offices, good lighting aspect and no traffic.

North side of Mecklenburgh Square meets all three.

(offices = green mark, location = red)

There were houses 32 to 47 on the north side of a wide cut-de-sac.

32 to 42 were modified by the Luftwaffe in 1940 and are now a London college.

However, 43 to 47 survive and show matching detail to 40 to 42 in the photos.

Good work.
I know the area fairly well and it was just a matter of time before the right combination of doors, windows, balcony and stone work was found.
Good find. The Blue Plaque is for poet Hilda Doolittle, 1917/18, but I wonder who else lived along there?
Virginia Woolf was bombed out of number 37.
Brilliant work, Henry, well done!
This site is the best!
Meanwhile despite Chris's stalwart effort the poor little car has passed more or less unnoticed - sorry, perhaps my fault.
Not at all, Chris, the car may be the focus of the photograph but very often, as here, the background has a bigger story to tell. And now we can, with some certainty, identify the location of a number of important historic photographs.