The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Seven
Been there and done that in Australia  Huh
Could be that Toyota are not 100% climbing on the 'we can do it' as far as electric is concerned because of their new Mirai Hydrogen car. A very interesting beast but with its own fuel supply/storage challenges.
Anyone remember Betamax vs VHS. The poor technology option still won. I am sure we can trust Boris to back the best solution....
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
623 miles on a 5.6kg Hydrogen charge.
Bring it on.
Hi All

Hydrogen cars are made in Llandrindod, my home town in the depths of mid Wales.  Look amazing but I’m not sure the lease arrangements will be to everyone’s taste.

https://www.riversimple.com/

Cheers

Howard
get thee over there with a non-original Seven and start talking to them about conversion, Howard! Would bring some broader national press interest to the 2022 celebrations...
(11-08-2021, 06:57 AM)Andy Bennett Wrote: Could be that Toyota are not 100% climbing on the 'we can do it' as far as electric is concerned because of their new Mirai Hydrogen car. A very interesting beast but with its own fuel supply/storage challenges.
Anyone remember Betamax vs VHS. The poor technology option still won. I am sure we can trust Boris to back the best solution....

I agree 100% with this post.  I was about to write something similar myself.  

Hydrogen cars only produce water. They also produce a lot of heat!.

Couldn't that heat convert the water into steam?

The possibilities are endless. Idea

Anyway; what about SF6?

electric cars mean more pollution - not less!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49567197
I’m going to get all my old college research stuff out of the loft, together with my slide rule and I wouldn’t mind betting that an old ic car (anything 40 years plus and older) would be less damaging to the environment than a modern electric car.

So who will be first to build a hydrogen Seven? That would be really interesting.
It's all well and good talking about there only being water as a by-product of a hydrogen powered car, which is true, but in order to acquire the gas, it is necessary to split water into its component parts by a process of electrolysis. It takes a HUGE amount of electricity to create sufficient Hydrogen for an automotive application, and on top of that, due to Hydrogen's molecular size you need a special high pressure tank in order to store it, otherwise the Hydrogen escapes by osmosis. On top of that, it is extremely explosive when mixed with air. It all sounds simple, but the required technology is complex, and therefore expensive. I remain unconvinced.

Cue videos of the Hindenburg and R101 airship disasters...
I've gone off the electric Seven idea mainly because of the batteries having a tendency to self combust, and I don't want that in my attached garage but RHS stipulate I must garage my Seven. Hydrogen sounds more interesting and it can be produced from methane produced from rotting down sewage works sludge, animal, pooh etc.
Ivor given that our Sevens weigh between a third and a sixth of modern cars they required between a third and a sixth of the energy to produce, steel and battery making are an energy hungry processes. Then the amount of energy to produce a Seven is spread over it's life, 83 to 99 years not 10 years and our cars are truly green.
I always wondered why since the internal combustion engine was invented the principal has not changed. Mazda had a real good go at the Rotary, madman Sarich in Western Australia got a lot of hype with his invention, but aside from getting lots of investment nothing happened. Now the latest fashion of electric cars where just as much pollution is generated in the whole of life, but everyone is going to feel better driving them because the pollution is generated elswhere. Oh! but what about the renewable energy they say, hmm! Could it be that the ICE just happens to be the most practical thing to move individuals around even though it was invented so long ago? There are more dreamers than doers today and trhe dreamers are in charge.