The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Seven
I don't know what ferzackerley means but I agree anyway...
If this is the answer, someone asked the wrong question...
(01-06-2021, 01:14 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Is it really worth all the effort?

If we all only did things that are "worth the effort" there would be precious little to read on this forum.
Cliff.
Cost and effort wise it's probably equivalent to all the parts the conversion would replace, ie radiator, fuel tank, dynamo, cut out, dizzy, starter motor, gearbox and of course engine, including the shiny new phoenix crank, slipper pistons etc.

I feel both have their place but the electric seven could be a real advantage as an everyday car for most local trips?
Love it! Now waiting for the wind up version, converting spring energy into electrical energy as the Trevor Bayliss clockwork radio. I think you may require a very large key.
What you need is a "GyroSeven" with flywheel drive, so very much more exciting than a boring old electric motor, especially when it breaks away from its welded scaffold-tube housing and hurtles off down the road The Swiss managed it, well, sort of, it's an interesting story:
https://jalopnik.com/how-the-swiss-devel...1413061006
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus
There's a rumour that David Wortley is building one, a most economical version that uses a surplus grinding wheel pinched from Stanage Edge. David's will have the flywheel mounted vertically - in a hope of inducing a little understeer.....

Attached Files
.jpg   flywheel.jpg (Size: 141.05 KB / Downloads: 307)
Stanage Edge, Know it well. He could even mount a Honda generator in the back to keep the power up if he gets tired pedalling. Mind you wouldn't it just be easier to let the Austin engine do the work?
Whilst I can't remember the exact cost It's a lot less than a complete engine rebuild with phoenix crank. The tourer is being done by a lively 84 year old who was spending most of his time looking after his wife who has dementia until his daughters said he must get a hobby.
Presumably in David's Gyro-Seven he could augment the feeble braking by applying pressure on the vertical spinning millstone with his foot, suitably shod in a Walkley's clog.  Visions of him descending the long hill down to Mytholmroyd with a comet like trail of sparks issuing from the rear of the car.  'Is that Hailey's Comet?'  'Nay Lad, it's yon Wortley chap trying to stop the bloody thing'
(01-06-2021, 04:43 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Love it! Now waiting for the wind up version, converting spring energy into electrical energy as the Trevor Bayliss clockwork radio. I think you may require a very large key.

Hi Dave

I was asked recently by a young girl delivering leaflets to the house....

“Oh is that handle at the front to wind it up?”

Cheers

Howard