The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Seven
Tony Griffiths, I assume no Austin Ruby was damaged in any way what so ever in the construction of the photograph and that the bikini clad girl was in no danger from the flames.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
not sure flaming car is even a Ruby, hub caps and rounded bumpers are the giveaway
(22-05-2021, 10:08 PM)flywheel1935 Wrote: not sure flaming car is even a Ruby, hub caps and rounded bumpers are the giveaway

Correct; it's an Austin Big Seven Forlite. https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwa...tin-599536
What Tony does with photos is quite frightening. It must make photographic evidence very complicated. I have mentioned before but over 25 years ago the council proposed a large sewer near a house I owned. There had been subsidence problems so sceptical me took a photo of a small crack in the basement with my yound son holding newsaper of the day. The work was a disaster and the house subsided seriously but the council would not recognise that it was new damage. Ten years later it came to a showdown. When my by then 6ft son walked into the meeting I knew from the bemused smile on the adjudicators face that I had won. Would have been very difficult with photos as evidence today.
bit of film...
I see the chap has the Austin Motor Co name since 2105, or patent... sounds ambiguous...
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn...947036160/
So many errors in the first sentence of that first comment alone. "Electric conversion of classic cars is great. Let's be honest, what we love most about them is the look."

Someone who calls any old car a classic (a pet peeve is people not understanding the proper definitions), the "let's be honest" is a classic "this is my opinion and it's the only correct one" way to phrase something and only loving them for their look? The only people I know who buy cars based on looks alone have more money than sense. This chap probably couldn't tell a pre-war from a hot rod if one ran over him!

I worked for a company doing electric cars back in 1995 in the UK. Back then California were trying to have 2% of all vehicles sold there Electric within 2 years. That all fell though of course. But since then I keep an eye on EV stuff. Every 6 months or some you see a story about some amazing new advance in EV technology which is all stuff we had or had thought of way back then. The usual one is EVs being able to push power back into the grid at times of peak demand. That regularly comes up as a new idea. What I have never seen is how the billing would work for that because the amount you get selling power back to the grid is less than the amount you pay for it.

Building some kind of EV would be a fun project but with how hard and annoying it is to get a scratch built car on the road here now I think I will stick to my old petrol cars while I can!

Simon
It's good that people like responsible Autocar journos have started quoting "zero localised emissions" for electrics now. i.e. someone in North Wales or on the Essex Coast is dealing with health problems as a result of a power station demand.
How they are going to get renewables into car electric supply while ceasing gas and oil for home heating is going to be an interesting one.
36 million cars on our roads. Every house will have to have a heat pump. So every one gets home on a still winters evening. plugs in the car turns the heating up and starts cooking dinner on the electric oven or microwave. Where is the juice going to come from? A nice clean atomic power station?
It looks yellow and sounds electric, but is still registered at DVLA as petrol engined and black.
It's nice to see at least one journo waking up by talking about "zero localised emissions" I like to talk about the whole of life carbon footprint of renewable enrgy. Wind generators are made of exotic materials, the nickname for aluminium is "crystalised electricity" then the solar panels, again made of exotic materials, And what happens when the wind does not blow and the sun does not shine? the chattering class all hail the battery but even though there have been big advances in battery technology, they still have a limited life span. I can see big battery houses being built with huge inverters. And the entire grid will have to be rewired. Already in Australia we have a problem with the high uptake of houshould solar panels. Because of the intermittent nature of such generation they can loose control of matching generation to demand.
And now the chattering class in Australia is condemning natural gas. We should chuck out our gas cooktops because they cause Asthma and other allergies. Gas ovens and home heating furnaces also have to go.
Nuclear power has been a dirty word in Oz for sixty years so none of our politicians would have the guts to go down that track.
BTW I believe there is an electric MGB running around over here.