The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floor starter button problem.
I am having problems with the floor starter button on my 32 RN. It sometimes takes a couple of presses before the starter throws, sometimes it can take 6 or even 8 presses to get it to kick, occasionally it goes first time. Battery seems OK. Connections are tight. The button is the round type facing up from the floor and does not have a screw in the centre. Any help or procedures greatfully received, I am not great on electrics, so please treat me gently!
take off battery supply, unscrew and try disassembling to see if it full of old dirt preventing current flow?
It's reasonably simple in there - mechanical press gives contact - but perhaps photograph at each stage so you remember which way it goes back?
The link below may help.

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...p?tid=1577

I believe they are originally riveted together with the mounting screws passing through the rivet.  So if you have an un tampered switch you may have to remove the rivet to take apart or it may fall apart when you take it out to service, be aware.  The link has images of the button apart.
Last year I rebuilt the starter button on our 32 RN.

It developed the same fault and eventually gave up the ghost. Required a good clean out (lots of crud), polishing up the contacts and some work on circlips etc. I also improved the insulation around the leads which needed a bit to be desired. 

Interesting job and the pictures on the forum helped.

I removed the rivets which the mounting screws pass through to get into the heart of it. I replaced them with modified leatherwork eyelets which were just the right size.
Thank you for your help. I have compressor blasted the crud out of the button, checked all of the connections and charged the battery overnight, I am now showing 6.7 volts, I think that there may still be something but after 2 presses BINGO starter fired and she started up, BUT. Yesterday I started her on the handle and after a minute or two, the charge lamp on the dash started to fade and then went out after upping the revs a bit, TODAY light wont go out and charging shows just short of "0", any amount of revs wont increase the charge showing. Help please, where do I start? All wires seem to be attached, and secure. Grateful for any help.
Peter
I have discovered the excellent help page from The Cornwall Austin 7 site and intend to progress through their fault finding tomorrow.
Also Harry Hales book on all things electrical for A7
You can find it on the forum.

Yeahhhhhhhhh So the battery is charged, the starter button is clean and spins the starter motor, the engine starts and NOW the charging light goes out and shows a positive charge. RESULT. I read all of the information from the Cornwall site and the Harry Hales book and started at No. 1 remove top from Type 35A resistor pack attached to dynamo and reveal the grubby mess that is in the picture.  Remove wires, clean all and tape up ends of wires, clean out grub screw fixings and reassemble. Press starter button engine revs and charging light goes out.
Thanks for your contributions. Still learning at 74 !!
Peter