The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floor Mounted Starter Button
Hi,

I'm slowly getting the bits together so I can add a starter to my Ulster replica and now have, I think, everything but the floor mounted starter button.

I suspect I will have to make up something similar to an original using the button from an early classic mini but I haven't actually seen an original Austin 7 starter button apart from a photo of one in a car.

Does anyone have a photo of the actual switch itself or any other illustrations / suggestions which may help?

Many thanks,
John.
Here's a photo of a post April 1932 RN saloon starter switch, the earlier switch had a slightly bigger button with a brass screw in it's centre. Note only one cable is connected to the switch the other is the main earth going to the crankcase.    
Heres a March 1930 chummy with no rubbers on the floor.

[Image: 008_1679.jpg]

[Image: 008_1680.jpg]

I have another switch somewhere if you want to see what the guts look like
(12-08-2018, 10:28 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote: Heres a March 1930 chummy with no rubbers on the floor.

[Image: 008_1679.jpg]

[Image: 008_1680.jpg]

I have another switch somewhere if you want to see what the guts look like

I believe this earlier Starter Button is the same as that used on the bacon slicer Starter Motor but fitted with a shroud around the button.
Pictures of the guts would be most helpful as I have to make one for my seven.  Possibly a couple of known dimensions too so things can be scaled ?

Thanks,
Stephen
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-7-SEVE...m570.l1313
(13-08-2018, 03:17 PM)NickB Wrote: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-7-SEVE...m570.l1313

A scarce item nowadays, my guess is it should sell over £100 ?

Tony
    Here's a photo of the early switch with partially effective terminal cover and more rubbers.
My wife hasnt managed to electrocute herself in the saloon. That hasnt a cover over the terminals. Were they left open? Or were they shrouded?
RN 539 - LWB, 1931

This type of shroud is the same as the one fitted to a 1931 SWB car I have - although I suspect it is from a later car as Dave suggests above.