The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scuttle fuel tank repairer request.

These are very small holes. Needle size.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Peter

I’d be tempted to use some petrol patch as a “temporary permanent” repair. Then possibly use POR 15 to consolidate the repair.

Cheers

Howard
Can you tell me about petrol patch please Howard. I used some 2 part steel type stuff a couple of years ago but that has all lifted.
Regards
Peter

OK found it on David Cochrane's site.
Thanks
The stuff I used 2 years ago was JB Quick Weld and that has now lifted and gone soft. Petro Weld looks similar, but is probably worth a try.
Any mor input gratefully received.
Peter
As the surrounding area looks remarkably good I would solder an annealed copper patch on with tinmans solder and a heavy soldering iron. For best results tin the copper patch thoroughly first, then use the soldering iron to sweat it on.
Thumbs Up 
Your repair still holding thanks Robert
I was just thinking that Robert's suggestion could be transformed into ready-tinned patches (just like bike repair kits!) for the less able vintage owner to deal with, then saw these... https://www.toolstation.com/made4trade-s...y3EALw_wcB
I'm not seriously suggesting these worth bodging, but might the former be something which suppliers could actually market?
Robert Foreman has put into words what I was thinking last night. Having little experience of soldering I was too shy to venture the opinion; but I've just sweated off two wee soldered copper patches from an old tappet cover and believe me they were well stuck.

All I would add is an emphasis on the words SOLDERING IRON. I'd go nowhere near that with a flame nor even a sparky grinder.
Thanks Chris and Robert et al. I have all of my dad's old soldering kit and it was probably his dad's, my dad died 7 years ago this week aged 91 so it's been around a bit. Regrettably he never taught me to solder, but hey ho thanks to this forum and the good old Googly thing, I'm going to have a go. I even have an old half stick of 1900 and something tinmans stick. Annealing might be biggest challenge. I have a butane hand held burner, just keep it away from the tank!
Thanks again,
Peter
I have only slight experience of soldering but can thoroughly recommend "Bakers Soldering Fluid No 3" to assist in getting solder to flow beautifully. It is corrosive, so the job needs cleaning off well afterwards.
(03-05-2021, 09:32 AM)Colin Wilks Wrote: I have only slight experience of soldering but can thoroughly recommend "Bakers Soldering Fluid No 3" to assist in getting solder to flow beautifully. It is corrosive, so the job needs cleaning off well afterwards.

Agreed. Bakers fluid can also be diluted in water and brushed on to the surface to aid tinning. A small copper or brass patch should be tinned first and be flat to the surface before sweating it on to the tank. You’ll need a very large soldering iron.