The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scuttle fuel tank repairer request.
Can anyone recommend a repairer for a small perforation area on in my scuttle fuel tank please.  South East England preferably.
I'd happily volunteer but I'm in the North East...
May I suggest that you bear in mind the impending introduction of E10 fuel which is likely to corrode soft solder. Possibly a number of us including myself need to keep an eye on tanks which were repaired in the past.
that's interesting... so does that start to bring Slosh ethanol-resisting sealant into consideration for such situations?
I've just had a look at the Hagerty site and quote
"Although many cars run on E5 without significant problems, doubling the amount of ethanol in the fuel can cause a variety of issues in olders cars. Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means that it absorbs water from the atmosphere. And that water, in turn, finds its way into your car. It can lead to condensation in fuel tanks, fuel lines and carburettors and cause corrosion in brass, copper, lead, tin and zinc components.
If it is the water (dissolved in ethanol) which causes the problem in lead solder I don't understand why heating systems throughout the country are not spurting at every elbow, tee-piece and straight connector.
I've had first-hand experience of problems in fuel systems such as floats turning into sinks and zamac alloy becoming porous and brass mesh dissolving but I've not seen any negative effects on tin/lead alloy solder.
I'd be very interested to read precise citations regarding attacks on solder.
Can anyone recommend a repairer for a small perforation area on in my scuttle fuel tank please.  South East England preferably.
The potential E10 problems were publicised recently by the FBHVC. The general recommendation is to use E5 which is usually labelled Super or something of the sort.
Sorry to hijack the "find a repair-man" thread but this seems to have taken off.

While the FBHVC report recommends that bio-diesel and alternative diesel fuels are not compatible with copper, zinc, brass, tin and lead there is no equivalent recommendation for E10 fuel other than for plastic materials. However, painful experience has intervened and many owners report degradation of zamac alloy and similar materials but I can find no reports of ill effects on properly soldered joins in brass, copper or steel. The most common cause of failure is operator malfunction and I'm sure we've all suffered that. I know I have...

Although it is not recommended I still use tin/lead solder for my work as I have found that the lead-free solder is not as "wet" and does not flow as well when making tanks etc.

I recently discovered that Citroen 2CV fuel line, a nylon compound, is still available and does not seem to be affected by ethanol in E5 fuel. Whether it will stand E10 is another matter.
https://ecas2cvparts.co.uk/products/petr...477e&_ss=r
I have no connection to the company other than as a customer.
Duncan, 
Have you any knowledge of this company that appears to be "up your way" ?
https://www.fueltanks.co.uk/services/vintage-tanks/ 
Regards
Peter
Hi Peter

Any chance of a picture of the tank area in question?

Depending on the extent of deterioration you might elicit some suggestions as to repairing it yourself?

Cheers

Howard