The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Propshaft
Hi Parazine,
They must be an interim between the enclosed pot type and the Ruby full Hardy Spicer.
I would love to see a parts list picture of one. !!
They must be from 1934 / 35 My fathers 1933 Box Saloons both had Carden pots.
My EB65 shaft is off a December 1933 chassis number. ( car has Ruby full Hardy Spicer propshaft fitted at the moment )
The Spider to pot Shaft I have is from a 1934 car as far as I know.
It looks like a 1970s / 80s conversion to me from the days before replacement Carden Blocks and Pins were available.
If it is it's an expensive conversion, the carden coupling end is too small diameter to cut the spline and there is no sign of a weld.
As David mentioned, it comes in the List of Spare Parts 1218B. Reference numbers BP184 & BP185.

[Image: BP184.jpg]
Thanks David.
We all know the relationship between the crosses is critical on a hardy spicer both ends. But does the relationship beween the spider and the cross matter? The reason I ask is my now HS one end and Fabric the other still has vibration. I don't know how accurate the welding of the HS spline is but I have reason to believe it is good. The adaptor for the HS to the early diff flange from Club Spares needed quite a bit of work on the bolt holes before I could could get the dedents to mate comfortably but now all good. Hence the question
"it  is correct" but dont beleive me. I KNOW NOTHING.

circe, if you had to file the adaptor.i think you are answering your own problem on ballance. if its a poor fit from the start, you wont ballance anything with a file.

bin it and do the job properly.
The Club Spares adaptor is threaded both sides and detented to slot into the diff flange on one side and the HS on the other. So I had flied the HS bolt holes and the diff flange bolt holes so the detents mate nicely both sides, if the detents are accurate (which I don't know) then filing the bolt holes in the HS and the diff flange should not matter. When the adaptor was being turned up in the lathe it would be very easy for rhe operator to check for trueness, not so easy getting the drilling for for the threads 100% accurate. As for the people who welded the spline on the shaft, I had a Nissan skline axle shotened and splined for the MGB GT and the work was good. Back to my orignal question does realtionship of the spider to the cross matter?
Circe,

I ran a 1933 Seven in the 1970s and 80s, during which time I covered some 150k miles in it. It was fitted with the iron stick fabric coupling/6 bolt HS propshaft. I had no propshaft vibration problems. I used to cruise at 42 mph with rare excursions up to a mildly terrifying 62 mph down steep hills.

In that period the engine came in and out perhaps three times. It never occurred to me to worry about the propshaft relationships so the fabric coupling would have gone back in any of the three possible locations. I have no clue about fabric joint dynamics but I would make a bet that they are different to those of a HS joint, They do not seem to interact unfavourably in my experience.

I had noticed your point about the location of the detentes, which leads me to suggest replacement of your fabric coupling with a known good example as a first move. After that, no doubt your propshaft people have a balancing device but it would presumably need some special fixtures to accommodate the Austin shaft.

Regards,

Stuart
Hi,

I know the propshaft adaptors very well.

And you shouldn't have to file holes.

Both HD and 3 fingered flanges locate in the indents. Which if the adapter was made from billet will be automatically centred by the lathe.

Then IF the holes are drilled and taped in the right place, you dont need to file holes.

Usually the threads are 3/8 bsf And 1/4 bsf. I can imagine someone might want to use something different as bad gets harder to get. If you are filing the holes because the bolts are to big. Has the manufacturer made a mistake using cheaper thread sizes.

The next thing is if it's just one hole that doesn't line up, turn the flange and make sure the three fingered spider hasn't been damaged.

Tony.
Thanks Tony, the threads/bolts are the original size and the filing was not to make the holes bigger but to get then to line up. Plan of action might be to get the shaft spun in a lathe. Replacing the fabric coupling is a good suggestion, might try that first.