The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Propshaft
    Which model Seven had a propshaft like this? It's the second I've come across in a year with fabric coupling on the front and Hardy Spicer on the rear.
Dave, 
   I think the six bolt Hardy Spicer has been swapped for a Ruby one.
It is correct.

The screw on collar for the UJ is smaller than the hardy splicer. So made for this propshaft.

I beleive they are mark one ruby, before the full splicer prop came in.

Tony.
Were they not fitted to late high chassis vans (i.e. those built in 1934and 5 during the currency of the early Rubies) ? A parts book in my possession (publication number 1218B) seems to suggest so.
My late 32 RN had a Carden joint on the rear, the Fabric coupling on the gearbox. As well as wear in the carden bucket, the knuckle in the prop shft was worn. Desired outcome was a Ruby shaft with a Hardy Spicer both ends but that was not to be becuase the hardy spicer would have been hard up against the handbrake assembly (because gerbox change to 4 speed 3 synchro?) With the grafting of a spline on the propshaft it now looks like the one pictured. The centres for the carden are different to the hardy spicer but our Club Spares had an adaptor. Most likely over the years others have done the same
The 'intermediate' Hardy Spicer as I've always thought of them, with the 6 bolt fitting, was fitted to late RPs but soon superceded - by the coming of the first Ruby perhaps? Page 52 of the Parts List published in August 1933 here - http://archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/uploads/PL_1029.pdf - shows them. The preceding Parts list we have in the Archive, dated April 1933, shows the Carden block version.

Hugh
(20-01-2021, 10:42 PM)David Stepney Wrote: Were they not fitted to late high chassis vans (i.e. those built in 1934and 5 during the currency of the early Rubies) ? A parts book in my possession (publication number 1218B) seems to suggest so.

David, my late 'high frame' chassis van (built early 1935) doesn't feature the type of Hardy Spicer U/J shown in Dave's photo.
In 59 years I've not seen one then two pop up.
Dave, dad came accross a Mk1 Ruby in a farm tip, minus its axles, and suffering from terminal rot of all but the most substantial steel parts. I recall there was one of these on what was probaby the back seat. We saved what we could and weighed in the rest. I still have it somewhere, the shaft is probably usable, but its rough
I have one, admittedly incorrect for my car, fitted to my April '33 box. I recall replacing a carden housing version years ago as I could never get that to run quietly, even with new pin and blocks...