The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook Group - Austin Seven Spares Sales & Exchange
But Michael, that would imply that only existing members can become members!

In any case, the issue was apparently that Matthew was thought not to be an A7 owner.
Hi Everyone

Thanks for your replies. My brother has just sent me this transcript of the conversation (I hope its ok to share) he had with Samantha, the admin of the group. He has never received a reply since and he appears to have been blocked as mentioned. My brother wasn't comfortable giving my car details and I'm inclined to agree, I don't see what relevance this has to a Facebook Group.

Maybe I am being over the top.

Never mind I suppose, there are plenty of other good avenues for parts.

Thanks for all your help

Matthew

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What a ridiculous group policy

C
Which 'registry'? The chassis register? Would that it were that perfect (in terms of completeness..)
(13-01-2021, 06:41 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: But Michael, that would imply that only existing members can become members!

In any case, the issue was apparently that Matthew was thought not to be an A7 owner.

(13-01-2021, 09:06 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Which 'registry'?  The chassis register? Would that it were that perfect (in terms of completeness..)

Even if it was complete, it doesn't have names

c
I joined this facebook group today without problem. My car is on the chassis register, but as the facebook group did not ask then they won't know that my car is there.
The transcript is quite bizarre. As I mentioned before, surely owners names' are protected data? Where is the group admin getting them from?

I'm a member of this group and have attempted to post a public question about this "register of owners". It hasn't appeared, but has been referred to the Admin. Will I still be a member tomorrow?
Hi Matthew,

I joined the 'Austin Seven Spares Sale / Exchange' group around six month ago without any problem at all. My 1934 A7 AVH Van bought many years ago as a dismantled basket case (sadly it still is) isn't currently listed on the A7CA Chassis Register, but even if it was the Chassis Register doesn't store owners names so there's no way the groups admin can check whether you're the owner of a particular A7 or not. Neither am I a member of any A7 club though I have been a member of this A.S.F Forum since 2006 and I'm also a member of two other Facebook Austin 7 groups to which I have posted the occasional comments / advice. I can only assume that in my case the A7 Spares Sale / Exchange group admin cross referenced my name against those other two A7 Facebook groups in deciding whether or not to accept me as a member. As Martin has rightly said, as far as I'm aware the GDPR (Data Protection Act 2018) would prohibit someones personal information being accessible in the way suggested to verify ownership of a particular vehicle.
I do hope that you and your brother can sort this problem out and both join and re-join the Facebook group.
Well, I asked whether I would still be a member of the FB spares group this morning and guess what? I can't access the site, or find any history of my contributions to it.

I appear to have laid down my virtual life in Matthew's defence!
(14-01-2021, 09:53 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: Well, I asked whether I would still be a member of the FB spares group this morning and guess what?  I can't access the site, or find any history of my contributions to it.

I appear to have laid down my virtual life in Matthew's defence!

I wouldn't worry unduly. 
It's still there but with only 1,100 members.
This site has 2,300 members.  It clearly pays to be amongst friends. 

C