The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSCC Subscriptions..
the £8.00 seems a nonsence to me.

if there monthly magazine is an A3 or A4, i take it thats a small parcel post at something like £3.85? x 12 going on £43.00ish plus 12 jiffy bags plus the costs of producing a magazine. 

its a lot more than £8.00 and a large amount of the £101 membership a club (any club) is charging.

so if you need a hard copy just pay the £101.00

the big rip off here, is whats happening to the hole world. useing global worming, and saving the planet. as an excuss to charge more.

and yes i agree we should use less paper.

but who are we saving the planet for?

the thousands of youths who had to party new years eve, preding covid and costing the world millions even billions. to stop the spread. theres alot of £8 in those billions.

or even the latest reserch telling us 33% of under 30s dont even beleive covid exists. and 50% wouldnt take the jab.

as i say the £8 feels a nonsence??? tony
(03-01-2021, 01:09 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: and yes i agree we should use less paper.

tony

On the contrary, young trees are grown for paper as a crop; reduce paper usage and we will have fewer trees absorbing that dreadful carbon dioxide (without which the planet cannot survive).
Emails (and this posting) can contribute too: https://www.statista.com/chart/20189/the...ou-emails/
I am not a member of the VSCC but I can understand why they have done this. It is true that it is nice to read through a paper copy as Austin in the shed has said. But doing things on line certainly keeps costs down and thus subs. Should members who are happy with online subsidise members who want a hard copy. In my opinion no. The hard copy is there if you want it but it costs you another £8.00.
How many of us grumble if our beloved car needs another£8.00 spending on it. Remember we know longer have to pay excise duty or for an MOT so what’s there to grumble about.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Just a thought; if you want a printed copy - just print out the online document.....
(03-01-2021, 02:04 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: On the contrary, young trees are grown for paper as a crop; reduce paper usage and we will have fewer trees absorbing that dreadful carbon dioxide (without which the planet cannot survive).

The green-ness of very quick growing timber is not great. It needs to develop and remain as biomass - i.e. complex high forests - to really contribute. It's like electric cars. Really? Yes - agreed, it gets rid of pollutants from cities, but battery production.... worse than our obsession with making complex plastics.

It's all marketing bullsh*t - everyone is skirting around "offsetting carbon" to maximise business, but the only way we are really going to survive is by travelling less, doing less AND buying less stuff, continuing to use and repair... AND being better at recycling the rest. (Ironicially what older, sensible people do anyway?). Malthus sadly has it though - it's only pestilence that is going to sort us out as humans are largely unable to plan all the necessary without the consequent brutal rejigging of "the economy".
(03-01-2021, 01:09 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: but who are we saving the planet for?

the thousands of youths who had to party new years eve, preding covid and costing the world millions even billions. to stop the spread. 

Bang on, Tony.
Alan Fairless
(03-01-2021, 01:09 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: the £8.00 seems a nonsence to me.

if there monthly magazine is an A3 or A4, i take it thats a small parcel post at something like £3.85? x 12 going on £43.00ish plus 12 jiffy bags plus the costs of producing a magazine. 

its a lot more than £8.00 and a large amount of the £101 membership a club (any club) is charging.

so if you need a hard copy just pay the £101.00

the big rip off here, is whats happening to the hole world. useing global worming, and saving the planet. as an excuss to charge more.

and yes i agree we should use less paper.

the thousands of youths who had to party new years eve, preding covid and costing the world millions even billions. to stop the spread. theres alot of £8 in those billions.

or even the latest reserch telling us 33% of under 30s dont even beleive covid exists. and 50% wouldnt take the jab.

as i say the £8 feels a nonsence??? tony

Didn't Soctates moan at some length about the hoplessness of youth 2500 years ago? Nothing seems to change when it comes to human character.
(03-01-2021, 02:04 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 01:09 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: and yes i agree we should use less paper.

tony

On the contrary, young trees are grown for paper as a crop; reduce paper usage and we will have fewer trees absorbing that dreadful carbon dioxide (without which the planet cannot survive).
..and young trees absorb more CO2 than older ones. I'm still looking for that TV program from a decade or more ago where a "scientist" was examining four ice cores from Greenland. Three showed, conclusively, that raised CO2 trailed an increase in temperature by around 300 to 500 years and did not precede it; the fourth was ambiguous on the point. Obviously intent on keeping the grant money flowing, the "scientist" proclaimed that the fourth core absolute confirmed that raised CO2 caused Global warming. Puzzled by his claim, the interviewer questioned his conclusion - this being met by an embarrassed look - and silence. As the programme was probably by the BBC, it will have been destroyed....
(03-01-2021, 05:06 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 02:04 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:

tony

..and young trees absorb more CO2 than older ones. I'm still looking for that TV program from a decade or more ago where a "scientist" was examining four ice cores from Greenland. Three showed, conclusively, that raised CO2 trailed an increase in temperature by around 300 to 500 years and did not precede it; the fourth was ambiguous on the point. Obviously intent on keeping the grant money flowing, the "scientist" proclaimed that the fourth core absolute confirmed that raised CO2 caused Global warming. Puzzled by his claim, the interviewer questioned his conclusion - this being met by an embarrassed look - and silence. As the programme was probably by the BBC, it will have been destroyed....

Get a copy of "Not for Greens: He who Sups with the Devil Should Have a Long Spoon" by Ian Palmer..........
An interesting read.....