The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSCC Subscriptions..
Is it a case of me being miserly or taking a point of principal. Just logged on to renew me membership to find that a “hard copy” of the Newsletter is an additional £8.00 ! Ok, it’s only £8.00 and I’m sure the great and the good will roll out the Green issue but at a time when the club is hardly inundated with event obligations is it a sneaky attempt to adjust the lamentable state of the accounts ?
I’m not sure this forum is the place for this discussion, but as I’ve said before, the VSCC subs are about the same as a couple of pub lunches. Which would you rather have?
Alan Fairless
As quite a few contributors to this forum are VSCC members, as well as other clubs, I think it is a quite legitimate topic for discussion where many A7ists gather to share thoughts, points of view, share experiences, give advice etc. No doubt in more normal times these would be aired in the pub at the monthly get together but as we cant do that just now is not this as as good a place as any to canvas those with shared interests?
(02-01-2021, 08:10 PM)Alan Wrote: I’m not sure this forum is the place for this discussion, but as I’ve said before, the VSCC subs are about the same as a couple of pub lunches. Which would you rather have?

Unfortunately Alan as my subs are due any access to the VSCC forums are blocked. The issue here isn’t the subs its the case of additional loading of what has always been inclusive with membership, wouldn’t a much fairer option have been to allow members to opt out of the hard copy rather than pull the rug ?
hi albert,

was you informed of the changes, of what you will receive for your membership payment before your next subscription.

the VSCC PAY. many people, i would have thought you would be made aware of any changes in your subscription.

tony.
Good Morning Tony,
The writing was on the wall really with most emails from the club carrying a reminder that the newsletter was available online, fair play they’ve done a good job of transcribing it to the computer. I received a renewal notice for £93, duly went online to pay to find if, as a Luddite, I wished to receive a paper copy it would be an extra £ 8.00.
Like many,some I guess who use this forum, I’ve no interest in participating in either trialing or track ,being content to take in an occasional race event or hillclimb but happy to subscribe to an organisation that does sponsor those wishing to take a more active role but for which I don’t expect to be financially penalised to retain what was the standard of membership.
It is the principle here and the authoritarian approach that I can’t warm to. From conversations earlier today I’m not alone here, two pals have decided against resubscribing, at best it’s a misjudged action by the club.. but it’s an I’ll wind, The Dogs Trust and The Donkey Sanctuary have benefited from what would’ve been my subscription fees.
They have missed a trick by not presenting it in a different way; i.e. by rewarding those who see the new way rather than penalising those who hanker for the old.

Surely this is something which will spread through the A7 clubs too, as the price of making and distributing physical objects rises above inflation. Once again though we are back to whether the material is really up to being archived in such a way, in modern times? It is a luxury and we need to wean ourselves off it. Things like the e-newsletters which go out to the Scottish club are surely the way forward. (The case I'd suggest is the fact that the early years social/sporting events/car sales after new car production are important historically. Ones now are surely less so.)

The London club's printed output has improved massively since lockdown as genuinely worthy information is being printed, but as it is largely information recycled from other clubs, it could equally well be just emailed, leaving any really important material coming from clubs to be considered for being lodged within the printed Association publication. and for regional clubs, a far-reduced membership rate for those just taking emailed newsletter content.. and a few physical mags laser-printed for those who really aren't able to cope with email but are prepared to pay.

Sadly, we are still generally a race of resource consumers, and it will gradually change whether we like it or not. Being able to "recycle paper" is a convenient screen - we need to be making less.
Aside from posting here have you tried to contact the VSCC via the secretary, President or any Committee members to express your feelings? They are all very approachable.

Charles
I don't know about the rest of you but I find I don't bother to read the VSCC newsletter on line the same as having a physical paper copy which is easy to put down and have another look later,Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
For me the VSCC aren't the only ones using the covid lark to go paperless but as posting a first class letter has now risen to 91p? I can part understand why. £8 is a bit of a stiff rise in membership though.
You only live once. Let's get the very most out of it while we can. £8?