The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Another Ruby project
I belong to a forum for my other hobby, photography.
New & improved cameras are released by the makers at regular intervals and photographers often have older models which are still very usable but surplus to requirements.
The forum has a popular Sales & Wants section that allows forum members to advertise their items which can be as expensive as run of the mill Austin 7s!
In view of the potential for members to get ripped off, there are rules that do not allow new members to advertise until they have been a member for a set time (months) and posted a number (30?) of meaningful posts.
Both buyer and seller for a transaction also have to exchange full names and addresses. Inevitably there are some disputed trades  but the majority of transactions go smoothly.
The downside is more work for the moderators who have to ensure compliance with the selling rules.

Given that most serious 7 enthusiasts will belong to a club and that most clubs allow small ads in their mags there are sufficient existing ways for private sellers to  advertise. The danger is mostly with amateur traders who pop up pretending to be private, sell a couple of dodgy cars, and then disappear.  Caveat Emptor always
I was the fist forum member to bring up this topic of selling on the forum. What I found that really got to me was the direct link to his website. As I said earlier we have forum member who contribute from time to time who also have business connected with Austin Sevens such as parts, servicing, gearboxes etc some of which have there own websites. But none of these put a direct link to there website when putting threads on the forum.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
As a supplier, I sometimes find myself wondering how far I can go in plugging our products without upsetting anyone.

I use Facebook a lot, where I have a business page and on that anything goes. I share quite a lot of my posts with various other FB A7 groups, but I try to do this in the form of news items that (I hope) are of general interest, albeit with a clear commercial connection. I draw the line at "Save ££££££ on this week's special offer!!!!!"

I recently affectionately likened this Forum to an old-fashioned gentlemen's club, where discussion of anything so vulgar as commerce, along with politics, religion and sex, would be considered beyond the pale. For this reason, I only mention my products and services when it's relevant to a discussion, or when I need to tap the gold mine of knowledge here for specific information needed to enable us to accurately carry out a job in hand.
OK, I'm here and putting my head above the trench!
I honestly didn't see any for sale section and that's why i put it on here, in future that's what i will do for anything I have for sale or wanted etc, but if i come across another barn,shed whatever find will post on here.
I try to help out in any way i can for the enthusiast or collector of which I am both, but I do have a business and i have saved many cars and parts from being scrapped and binned and can never find the heart to break a car.
Not sure what auction I was seen at but you can't really miss me because i wear a shirt with the logo on it!
I am an Austin 7 owner when i have them! Next year we are starting a YouTube channel and it will feature an Austin or two on it.
I do post on eBay but try to avoid it like the plague as I've got my own website but if you go on forums and on here when someone is looking for something the first thing said is, 'look on eBay!' eBay for sellers is going to get worse this coming year so don't get me started on them!
My head is still up so fire away!
I buy and sell all types of classic cars and interesting objects

My Website
Hi obsolete.

We never take shots here.

Must admit, I didn't see the logo on your shirt at the auctions. The HUGE LOGO on the side of your van was in the way Big Grin

I didn't think it could get any worse on ebay for sellers, but it wont stop them trying.

Tony.
It has to be said that the "Sales and Wants" section on this forum is not at all obvious and the distinct impression that I've formed is that hardly anyone looks at it.

As for the "Cherished Suppliers" list on the site, this seems to be a very closed and exclusive group indeed! We've been trying to get ourselves added to it for years. Perhaps no-one cherishes us!
hi martin,

you should be on there, you are respected for your work.

it would also be nice if peoples advert could be updated on this list. mine was lifted from a magazine 10 years ago.

many of us have had nice vintage looking ads made in the association. it would look good if they could be moved over.

tony.
You certainly should be featured Martin. Perhaps the Management could take appropriate steps to contact you?
(20-12-2020, 11:00 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: It has to be said that the "Sales and Wants" section on this forum is not at all obvious and the distinct impression that I've formed is that hardly anyone looks at it.

I, certainly, look at it every day. I've also had a good rate of success with it for both buying/wanting and selling indeed some things I sold a few months ago look to have made an appearance on the forum in a photograph this morning. Perhaps it should be made more obvious and visible though.

Steve
I see no problem in any trader posting a one liner here saying for instance “1929 Gordon England Sunshine Saloon resto project £2000 see the for sale section”

Then we have the opportunity to either look at the details with a view to buying it, or moan about how expensive/unoriginal/how it will be turned into a fake EA Sports here.

I’ll get me coat!