The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A lesson in how to be correctly dressed for a Saturday in the garage
In the piston photo they probably called in the old boy because he had lowered Seven blocks over the pistons. A work colleague and his mate srtruggled with that exercise, then discoverd they had put the block on back to front!
When Dave Wortley and I worked at Davy United in Sheffield there were three class distinctions in the Machine shop. Engineers etc, wore a blue boiler suit, Foremen a brown coat and Staff a white coat. Collar and tie was de rigueur in those days.
No collar or tie would have been a sacking offence  Big Grin

An very interesting photograph. Note the 3-wheel roller on the bench in the foreground, used to end the bottom section of the screen to the scuttle curve? Is that a template along the front edge of the bench?
I used to suspect they wore Sunday best for the photo but have seen so many of these photos it seems they really did wear ties and white shirts. I suppose it was colder then. Most would have had wives or landladies at home to wash the shirts, but must have become very obviously black.Especially with a bath just maybe once per week. Maybe with a tie noone can see.
Just to show how things changed this is a photo of the apprentices where I "Did My Time" taken in 1971.

.jpg   Klinger Apprentices 1971.jpg (Size: 83.72 KB / Downloads: 139)

As you can see everyone was very well dressed!

Actually the person in the barrow would have just completed his apprenticeship and it was traditional to cover them in anything unpleasant you could find including oil, engineer's blue and even handfuls of raw asbestos.
Should those blokes assembling the big engine have put the rings on the pistons before offering them to the rods ?
And he isn't even wearing one if those tie pins or the strange tie clip (which I still have a few in my joolry box along with a number of cufflinks).
When I started work a few colleagues with Ford 10s seemed to spend as much time grinding valves as I did (stellite faces were a popular mod). I understand some Ford 10 have the rod studs curiously forged as part of the rod. Maybe it was to preclude wrong substitutes..important with the Fordson trucks which went everywhere at astronomic rpm. If you think your Seven is noisy...
As one who has contributed a very regular tech artilce to a car club mag for 45 years I rather envied those mags. Their audience renewed every 7 years or so whereas, as with the Seven forum, many of the car club members are the original fogies so articles cannot be regularly repeated.
(05-11-2020, 07:57 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: When I started work a few colleagues with Ford 10s seemed to spend as much time grinding valves as I did (stellite faces were a popular mod). I understand some Ford 10 have the rod studs curiously forged as part of the rod. Maybe it was to preclude wrong substitutes..important with the Fordson trucks which went everywhere at astronomic rpm. If you think your Seven is noisy...
As one who has contributed a very regular tech artilce to a car club mag for 45 years I rather envied those mags. Their audience renewed every 7 years or so whereas, as with the Seven forum, many of the car club members are the original fogies so articles cannot be regularly repeated.
Not quite true
The older I get the more I forget.  So seeing an article reproduced just a handful of years ago seems like reading it for the first time.  Big Grin Big Grin.
Cheers
Howard