The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1930 RK box body saloon
I thought I had put in my fourpennorth, but obviously forgot to press send!
I had a similar problem with my29 RK 101380. I had the rubber seals not pressed right up to the ridge on the bonnet (gave me over 1/2")and also made some of the lower mounting holes & the top stay holes oval by about 1/8". Because of the "leverage" that made a lot of difference & it now fits nicely. I think a chrome rad was a feature of the 1929 models...it is mentioned in the advertising literature!
Good luck!
My early 29 has a nickel cowl -  if i remember correctly my late 29 was  chrome but that was over half a century ago  Big Grin
The advertising leaflet for 1929 said "all exterior fittings chromium plated" None of that old fashioned nickel
(01-11-2020, 11:12 PM)Tony Press Wrote: My early 29 has a nickel cowl -  if i remember correctly my late 29 was  chrome but that was over half a century ago  Big Grin

A friend has a May '29 Chummy - all nickel, my October '29 RK is half nickel, half chrome and another friend has a December '29 Chummy, all chrome, so it seems it was a changeover as bits became available in the new-fangled chrome plate.
My July 29 Chummy is nickel plated.
Spot on - chrome was introduced towards the end of '29.
Bonnet hinges - the 'bent-over flaps' were, I understand, not nickel-plated but made from a material known as "German silver", a material composed (I read) from copper, nickel and zinc and employed for its toughness and resistance to corrosion. It's certainly on my early '29/very late'28, but by the mid-1930s, and the short-scuttle, long bonnet cars, the flats are in steel. Do all early cars have the German silver hinges?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My RK is Dec 29 and has " German silver" hinges....paint doesn't like to stay on it!
All three of my cars (late '26, late '27 and late '29) have this type of hinge. I had assumed that the metal was nickel; it seems to be the same material as the reverse thumb catch on a gate change gearbox and the horn button. The door handles on the Top Hat also seem to be the same stuff. Polishes up beautifully but tarnishes to a horrible brown.

My 1925 Austin 12/4 Clifton had a lot of the same material....
Aren't German silver and nickel silver the same thing?
These hinges are still available new from Rod Yates...but not in nickel silver!