The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1930 RK box body saloon
Hello,
Can anybody help.
I have one of the above Austin 7"s and I am in desperate need of a set of drawings of the car with all the measurements. Found only one but not very good.
How many bonnets ones were there on this model as I have a bonnet but it does not look right.
Does anyone have a radiator surround.
So close to complete but still so far.......

Thanks
Roy Huh Huh Huh
Hi Roy

I may be wrong but but I cannot think that there would have been more than one bonnet type for the RK production run and that Chummys of the same vintage would have had the same bonnet.  I suggest you find an RK or Chummy owner close by and ask to take measurements.

It sounds as though you may not have a radiator cowl.  These are very rare many having been used on Ulster replicas and specials.  Good luck in your search for one.

Here is a picture of my 1930 RK bonnet during refurbishment of the car a year or two back. It’s the best close up I’ve got.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   BDBA40DC-0D19-4756-945D-519001BDCCB1.jpeg (Size: 117.6 KB / Downloads: 525)
(31-10-2020, 01:22 PM)Howard Wrig Wrote: Here is a picture of my 1930 RK bonnet during refurbishment of the car a year or two back. It’s the best close up I’ve got.
Howard, can you tell me about the "jack lifting system" you have? My thanks.
Hi Tony

Yes in our previous house (well small cottage) I resorted to building a 12 by 6 shed in which to build restore my sevens.  It was about 17” above the level at which I could get the car out to the road.

I dug a pit or trench under the shed and purchased a high lift pallet truck (second hand off eBay) The truck could lift 600kg  1200mm high.  Theoretically it should not have been used to move loads but.... The side of the shed could be removed. The pallet truck slid nicely under the car and two stout wooden beams transferred the load to the chassis cross members. Once lifted the car could be pulled out and lowered to get it at road level.

We now have a larger house and double garage!

Cheers

Howard
(31-10-2020, 12:56 PM)royjackson Wrote: Hello,
Can anybody help.
I have one of the above Austin 7"s and I am in desperate need of a set of drawings of the car with all the measurements. Found only one but not very good.
How many bonnets ones were there on this model as I have a bonnet but it does not look right.
Does anyone have a radiator surround.
So close to complete but still so far.......

Thanks
Roy Huh Huh Huh

You might be better to ask for specific dimensions with a photo rather than a body drawing. I think the earlier bonnet fitted to black rads are the same length but shorter on height 10 1/2" to 12" of the later. Rad shell could set you back £500 due to desirability.
Roy - why don't you post a picture of your bonnet fit?
Thank you, Howard; desperate times call for desperate measures! I've been looking at all sorts of car-lifts and was curious about yours. A pallet stacker? Now, that might just work...
I have found the rad surround is very skew. So I am looking for a good one. The scuttle panel looks good  but the rad end is the bug bear, the car was a basket case of note.
Roy,

The following dimensions of the rad. shell may assist:

Width at base                18 1/32"
Width at top                  16 5/8"
Total height                   22 3/16"
Bottom corners radii measured from the inside of the aperture     3  7/8"
Top corners   "                 "                            "                         2  3/4"
Hi Roy

With those dimensions supplied by Chris I’d get the cowl off the car and marking up a big sheet of thick ply sit the cowl on it and carefully pull it into shape.

The cowl on my RK was not in very good condition when I got it and demanded quite a bit of planishing to get reasonable.  Hence the fact it is painted as I could not afford the cost of refurbishment and chroming  (I think 1930 cowls were chromed rather than nickel plated). Anyway I like the painted cowl  Smile.

Cheers

Howard