The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage Vandalism
(21-10-2020, 09:03 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: OK folks, here's another one ripe for ripping apart and converting into a special:

https://www.prewarcar.com/313220-1926-au...hat-saloon

... but you just wouldn't, would you?

If it sells for near the asking price it will be preserved by the forces of economics, if nothing else.

Charles
(21-10-2020, 08:11 AM)Charles P Wrote:
(21-10-2020, 12:40 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: "Ulster" replicas: why are there so many half-hearted attemps at these? For me, the only ones to have any appeal whatsoever are those on a short chassis with a correctly proportioned aluminum body taken by formers from an original; touring wings; the correct windscreen and instruments; a hood - and, most important, the associated discomforts and privations that this sporting car had originally. I suppose, as so few short chassis are now available - one no longer finds three or four propping up an outbuilding's roof and available for a pound each - that destroying a Box or Ruby is the only way to go.

Whilst I generally agree with your thesis Tony why the touring wings and hood? Many (most?) cars in period had them removed/ replaced if used in competition much.My personal dislike is the fashion for entering them in competitions as an "EA". I don't know of a prewar competition entry using that reference.
Charles
Ah! The very reason for my preference - "Factory original, old boy!" Joking aside, I know that they go rather better with those very heavy, domed steel wings removed - but without them, and fitted with crude cycle wings, the can sometimes look just like any old cobbled-together-in-the-back-yard special...

(21-10-2020, 08:41 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Charles,
You are obviously correct about removing touring wings for competition use but I like the touring wings because it makes the car prettier! I am biased because I spent years making touring wings in aluminium in my spare time in the 70’s.
Cheers,
Dave.
And the wings on David's car - if you've not seen them - are a perfect job. A testiment to skill and perseverence of the highest order. If only I could manage a fraction of such high-end, metal-forming ability.

(21-10-2020, 09:07 AM)Charles P Wrote:
(21-10-2020, 09:03 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: OK folks, here's another one ripe for ripping apart and converting into a special:

https://www.prewarcar.com/313220-1926-au...hat-saloon

... but you just wouldn't, would you?

If it sells for near the asking price it will be preserved by the forces of economics, if nothing else.

Charles
Wow! That is beautiful, and Sheffield registered, too. The seller should put it an H & H auction, it'd make £25,000. Besides all the lovely originality, what a plethora of interesting details: the AA badge in bronze with the Austin wings; a proper "dial-wind" Stadium clock; the horn; cast-aluminium number plate and the ashtray. What's the lever attached to the steering wheel - and the "hoop" of material in line with the back and side edge of the driver’s seat?
I think Ian has come as close as anyone to expressing what I meant by "but..." - I had several tries but gave up.

Seems to me attitudes have come full circle since I "joined the movement" at the end of the 70's. Back then I felt there was a general rejection of the crimes* of the 50's and 60's and opinions were leaning toward conservation and preservation of a fast-dwindling bank of assets. There seem to be a lot of threads on A7F now by folk who view the A7 as inadequate in various ways and feel it must be improved. I don't entirely reject that view, those intending to use their cars in earnest on modern roads must give some thought to reliability and safety. But to my eye many mods are done for the sake of something to do or based on erroneous preconceptions about the originals. We see some wonderful specials and recreations, but I'm afraid they are the tip of a great big iceberg and many creations might better have been left on the fag packet.

*I can't say that without also alluding to the current fashion for re-writing and apologising for history. Just DON'T.
What has been has been, and should be told as it was. Back in the 50's A7's were abundant and fair game just as - ooh I don't know - Nissan Micras are now. In generations to come we may be lambasted for sending Micras to the scrapyard but I will shed few tears for mine. These are only 'crimes' when viewed through today's spectacles; and those weren't around back then...
My (short chassis) AG tourer would have been a real candidate for an Ulster clone. Rubbish steel body (good scuttle useable -wrong -wings) perfect to put a copy body on...even has a Nippy head manifold carb etc all there...however I have rebuilt it to how it was in about 1969, with it's hydraulic brakes, small wheels , braced radius arrms for the front axle (?). The clone would probably have been cheaper than my rebuild and "worth more than" an AG special, but I think it was a worthwhile project to take it back to where its history really started!
D
The trouble with taking it back in time is you have to decide which bit of history you are going to undo. I struggled with this When I considered restoring my Special to its pre war spec. (It’s been a special since 1929) That would have meant it’s later history as 750F car in the 1950s and as a successful trials car in the 70s would be undone. Eventually I decided to do nothing except get it running again, and see what it collects in the next several decades.
Alan Fairless
Quite right. But this car went out to Hong Kong in this state of "tune" in the late 60's and then came home after almost 50 years in the USA, so it was an easy choice...especially as I tracked down the man who took it out there!
David
Love the Top hat Mike, and nice to hear some sensible and considered thoughts from others.
Black Art Enthusiast
The specials boom in the 1950s was a key part of our current movement. So many young men became attached to our favourite car through this period. Many of those young men are key to the A7 scene today. It also provided the basis for the whole Austin Seven spares movement, which continues today.

I understand (and support) the desire to preserve saloons, but am also aware that to build a usable body for a special is such a simple task compared to trying to restore the bodywork of a Box Saloon. I am going through both processes at the moment, and have decided to leave the Box repairs to a professional. I bought my special in 1979 from 750 motor club founder member Bill Butler. I spent the next 4 years running the car into the ground. Work commitments meant that it remained unused since 1983, and the body frame rotted away. Hence the need for a new body.
I do wonder if the current situation with the DVLA may no help?

In the 40’s and 50’s bodies would fall to bits and be scrapped but the chassis and other mechanical bits would often survive. This is definitely true with Austin’s, Riley and even my Delage had a similar fate.

At one time it was a (relatively) simple process of gathering enough mechanical parts building a body and saying to the local DVLA office “can I have an age related number please” - this is definitely how I did both my A7 special in the late 80’s and Riley special in the late 90’s.

Now with the current challenges getting a car registration it is far easier to get a car with existing docs, throw away the “boring” body and build something possibly more valuable (with the Amilcar everyone seems to think they should all ba as valuable as a CGSs or C6!)without the hassle of talking to the authorities.

I’m sure there are still more than enough chassis and other parts out there to save this happening but it’s a more drawn out process with no guarantee of success at the end...why put all that effort into building something amazing when it may be a waste of time?
(22-10-2020, 10:15 AM)Colin Swinbourne Wrote: ...with the Amilcar everyone seems to think they should all be as valuable as a CGSs or C6!...

Only the ignorant who haven't done their homework; a G-Type special will never be worth anywhere near the same as a CGSs!